New Rena XP3, poor water quality 24 hours later - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Mog
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
New Rena XP3, poor water quality 24 hours later

Hey guys and gals,

I just swapped out my Fluval 304 for an XP3 on a 75g, fully stocked, lightly-moderately planted tank last night.

The output/flow in the tank is 10x better now; there's actually a lot more than I want or need until my plants grow in. I installed the valve and cut the output tonight as I felt even with the spray bar, there was too much flow.

The new filter has been installed for 24 hours and for some reason the tank is now cloudy... It was crystal clear before swapping out the filters. I used the bio max and prefilter from the old filter, used new floss in the top tray and the bottom has thier sponges in it. I opened the filter and filled the top tray with more floss to see if that would help. The floss in my Fluval used to get pretty dirty quick.... this floss was only in 24 hours, but it looked like I just put it in.

Any thoughts? Flow looks good, trays look to be seated properly, etc... It looks like it did when I first filled the tank and had 160 lbs of new EC in it and the water was murky/dirty for the first 24 hours... but even then, it was crystal clear 24 hours.

With the flow being increased a lot, I could see some extra detritus being stirred up, but not enough to make the water cloudy.

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Maybe a really bad cycle?

SunSun Pimp #44- HW-302,
Eheim Pimp #457-2232,2213

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

currently looking for a co2 system,i have plants,shrimp and live food cultures to trade
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Mog
Planted Member

I was worried about a mini-cycle... I tested the tank this evening and the ammonia was 0. Also did a 50% water change last night while installing the new filter.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:46 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Possibly the extra flow is kicking up debris that the 304 wasn't strong enough to move?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
could be rushed to switch filters one day isnt really enough to have the second filter ready, should have ran both with reduced flow imo until its ready because it could be to much for a new filter *even with some existing filter media its still new its just giving a head start* to handel. i would give it a couple days to see how it goes rushing never gives the best results, i would put both filters on but thats just me i really doubt that is to much flow for a 75 even more so if its heavly planted i run a new fluval 405 on a 40b an its just fine.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Mog
Planted Member

That's definitely a possibility and most likely the cause. The current is sweeping along the bottom now, which it never did before. But how long do you think it should take to catch up so to speak and clear up if that's it? This is my first big tank, so the only experience I have with something similar is when I first filled the tank and the tank was clear in about 16 hours. The water was real murky from the eco complete and I thought then, it was going to take a few days. Compared to that, I figured the new filter would clear something like this up in a few hours
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
its going to clear it up but it isnt cycled so it has to do that! if its just a mini cycle then should be few days if all goes well just watch ur ammo lvls and stuff to keep it in check it could just be its gettin all the detrius an mulm stirred up an sucked away. if i had a fully stocked 75 i would prob run both just keep the current down with spray bars but keeps the flow *gph* up an should do fine as long as there not being blown around in a vortex, i normally try to get 10x cycled per hour of course depending on what fauna u have as some need less to be happy but more is usually better.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode