Finally think I have enough filtration - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Finally think I have enough filtration

Been looked for another 2217 to add to my 75 for about two years now. Finally spotted one on Craigslist for $50 yesterday. Hooked it up and it started up without a problem. I now have 2x2217 and 2 x 2213 going. The 2213s are on the sides and both 2217s are in the middle. One on top hooked up to the eheim attachments with an inline CO2 with it angled downward and the other one is at the bottom of the tank. Add in the power heads I have on each end of the tank and I have a lot of water circulation going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Algae Grower

You got a washing machine now! Way to much flow for my liking but as long as you are happy with it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

we shall see how it goes, but so far, I haven't noticed any issues with the fish in the current, and with the purigen in the new 2217 the water clarity is improving.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well according to aqaviser I have 300% filtration go me !
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
seems a bit overkill...whats your reason for having so much filtration?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

it isn't so much need for over filtration, but the 2213s seem to lack in the water movement, plus everything I have read for the last 6 years has said to heavily over filter the tank. I will probably adjust in time, but I have had some issues with deadspots before.

Eventually after I stop moving around I want to get a 120.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

so are you going for more flow or more filtration?

reason I'm asking is I'm wondering which is better in general...more filtration via filters or more plants?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Tank Filtration

Hello Yoemen. I used to overfilter my tanks, but liked the look of a more heavily planted tank. Found out when I planted a lot of plants, they didn't like all the oxygen the filters caused by churning up the water. I took all the filters out but one and the plant growth really increased. The best part is the plants filtered the water better than all the filters.

B
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
uhm, what?

The plants probably did better because the lower flow wasn't offgasing what little co2 was in the water.

I have a lot of low in my water, and a lot of filtration and flow.
An eheim pro3e 2076 and a ecco 2232, plus a 425gph koralia. All on a 48 gallon.

The flow distributes co2 better and keeps the water oxygenated so that your fish won't be stressed out by the high levels of co2 in the water. This way, you can up the co2, which your plants will love, without harming the fish.

The more filtration you have the better really. I mean sure you can over do it on the flow so that the fish are constantly swimming, but having a lot of filters can only be good for the tank.

Better than under filtration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Over filtered Tank

Hello IWanna. My poor plant growth was just as I described. There must have been too much O2 in the water. The filters were creating such a splash in the water, the action created too much oxygen.

The fish didn't seem to have a problem with it, but the high oxygen environment wasn't good for the plants. When I removed all but one of the smaller filters, my plants really started to respond. Guess I'm not really interested in the specifics of how this works, but I essentially realized plants don't do well in a high oxygen environment.

B
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello IWanna. My poor plant growth was just as I described. There must have been too much O2 in the water. The filters were creating such a splash in the water, the action created too much oxygen.

The fish didn't seem to have a problem with it, but the high oxygen environment wasn't good for the plants. When I removed all but one of the smaller filters, my plants really started to respond. Guess I'm not really interested in the specifics of how this works, but I essentially realized plants don't do well in a high oxygen environment.

B
There is no such thing as too much O2 within reason (recall air is 20% oxygen). Plants actually benefit from oxygen and some hardcore aquatic plant growers inject oxygen along with CO2. What water movement does is gas off dissolved CO2 down to atmospheric concentration.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post

B

Brad, the splashing gases off the co2 content. It adds more oxygen yes, but the amount of oxygen in water is not related to the fact that your plants aren't doing well, that's co2.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd rather have lush plants to keep the water clean than a bunch of ugly equipment.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well I currently have both. Lush plants and I can't see the equipment.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
There is no such thing as too much O2 within reason (recall air is 20% oxygen). Plants actually benefit from oxygen and some hardcore aquatic plant growers inject oxygen along with CO2. What water movement does is gas off dissolved CO2 down to atmospheric concentration.
Which is the only amount of CO2 that all of these plants live on in the wild

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode