Bacteria problem? Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Bacteria problem? Help!

Hey guys,
So I have been in the planted aquarium for a little over a year now and have had my share of "live and learn" experiances. But now I feel slightly clueless...

So I have made my 3/4 gal betta tank into a planted tank, CO2 injection and all. I FINALLY got all the water parameters right untill I moved back home from college for summer. During the drive the scape got dismantled, so i was forced to replant and rescaped the whole thing.
Over the next 3 days my water clouded. This was fallowed by the plants being uprooted every mourning. I thought i just had a naughty betta who enjoyed reaking havoc on my DBT bed.
BUT... upon further investigation/observation I saw big bubbles coming from the substrate now and then (and visible bubbled under the substrate). it was THIS that uprooted my plants (I saw one bubble take out a clup of hairgrass as i stood there).

The bubbles dont smell like Sulfur per se, more of a real bad smelling beer scent.
I was going to blame it on a yeast mixture spill into the tank but there was no evidance of the DIY liquid in the air tube.

I curently have the plants growing emersed to prevent further uprootings

My questions being:
Is this bacteria?
How do i get rid of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Definitely sounds like you have something anaerobic going on in your substrate; how deep is it? Seems like a bit of strange problem to have in such a small tank. You could take out the gravel and rinse it really well in a bucket of dechlorinated water; swish it around really well with your hand and get all the dirt and junk suspended in the water, then pour the water off.

Personally, trying to keep anything stable in 3/4 of a gallon sounds like a nightmare. I would look into getting a bit larger tank, 3 or so gallons at the minimum. Your betta will be happier too. You could keep your 3/4 gallon for growing just plants or maybe put a small shrimp or snail in there for added interest.

Joy to the fishes!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
the substrate is only approx 2.5 inches deep, i just am stumped on how it happened one week it was running gret next thing i know.... chaos.

I know the tank is hard to keep at such a small size but i was looking for a challege and conquered it for a while... but then this came up... It is for a desk in a dorm so room is not something I have. We'll see

I was thinking possibly better water current? I had my filter on quite low flow to let my betta take it easy since they are not fans a strong currents.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode