Plants turning brown HELP! - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 28
Plants turning brown HELP!

Hi everybody. I've got some anubias' that have got some brown spots on them. The spots are kind of small but are on a few other plants as well. Anyone know what could be the problem. My temperature is at 75 F and the light are 2x24 watt t5 ho. What could be wrong?
treeside is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 09:59 AM
feh
Planted Member
 
feh's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 224
Pictures would be helpful but sounds like diatoms. Is the tank new?
feh is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
BBradbury's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Greeley, CO
Posts: 1,945
Brown Plants

Good morning Tree. If your tank has been running for less than six months, then you're likely dealing with a form of algae. If your tank isn't well planted, then I'd start there, by adding some fast growing stem plants. When I had an algae problem, I planted Water Sprite, Water Wisteria, Rotala, Ludwigia and Pennywort. As the stem plants grow and draw more nutrients from the water, the algae will die back. No need for lighting changes, feeding changes, plant scrubbing or chemicals, but increase your water changes to 50 percent every two to three weeks if you're not already doing this.

I've used this plant and water change method and have had no algae problems.

B
BBradbury is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by feh View Post
Pictures would be helpful but sounds like diatoms. Is the tank new?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Good morning Tree. If your tank has been running for less than six months, then you're likely dealing with a form of algae. If your tank isn't well planted, then I'd start there, by adding some fast growing stem plants. When I had an algae problem, I planted Water Sprite, Water Wisteria, Rotala, Ludwigia and Pennywort. As the stem plants grow and draw more nutrients from the water, the algae will die back. No need for lighting changes, feeding changes, plant scrubbing or chemicals, but increase your water changes to 50 percent every two to three weeks if you're not already doing this.

I've used this plant and water change method and have had no algae problems.

B
Yeah, it's a new tank. I have it on my stem plants and none on my carpet plants. Also, I have plenty of stem plants like Ludwigia and Pennywort. Maybe it's diatoms. If it's diatoms, how do I fix it?
treeside is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 28
Also, I've tried to take pictures but my iPhone isn't geting a good image of the spots and I don't have a camera. Just FIY my tank has been up for about 3 weeks
treeside is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:36 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Higher Thinking's Avatar
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon State Beavers!
Posts: 1,533
This is a normal experience that occurs with new tank set ups. Once all the excess silicates are used up, the diatoms will disappear. Really high phosphate levels cause this as well, I believe. Some how phosphates and silicates are intertwined, I just don't know how. I assure you that after a few weeks of getting worse, it will leave just as fast as it appeared. Get a couple otto cats if you can. They are small and really efficient at cleaning this algae. Really you gotta just be patient.
Higher Thinking is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higher Thinking View Post
This is a normal experience that occurs with new tank set ups. Once all the excess silicates are used up, the diatoms will disappear. Really high phosphate levels cause this as well, I believe. Some how phosphates and silicates are intertwined, I just don't know how. I assure you that after a few weeks of getting worse, it will leave just as fast as it appeared. Get a couple otto cats if you can. They are small and really efficient at cleaning this algae. Really you gotta just be patient.
Thanks, that's reassuring. I thought the brown spots were harmful so i was just looking for some preventive measure if needed. Do you think the cats may uproot my plants?
treeside is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 03:58 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Higher Thinking's Avatar
 
PTrader: (23/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon State Beavers!
Posts: 1,533
Not at all, they are small...like less than an inch. Mine sit atop leaves that are half their size and just lay on them and clean them
Higher Thinking is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higher Thinking View Post
Not at all, they are small...like less than an inch. Mine sit atop leaves that are half their size and just lay on them and clean them
Thanks for the info, i'll probably pick one up and see how it works. Here's hoping
treeside is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
snafuspyramid's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 329
You can tell if they are diatoms because you'll be able to rub them off with your fingers.

They should disappear within a short time, almost overnight.

Bristlenose catfish are also fond of them (although, not necessarily).
snafuspyramid is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by snafuspyramid View Post
You can tell if they are diatoms because you'll be able to rub them off with your fingers.

They should disappear within a short time, almost overnight.

Bristlenose catfish are also fond of them (although, not necessarily).
Well, I've had them for a couple of days so far so does that mean it's not diatoms. Or do you mean they should be gone overnight if i get the catfish?

I also managed to get a decent picture since it looks a little clearer at night with the light on.

treeside is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Discus freak
 
oscarsx's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/94%)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: N/A
Posts: 928
Diatoms I believe.


oscarsx is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome