Is this planaria? Need advice quick... this is gross :) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Mog
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Is this planaria? Need advice quick... this is gross :)

Hi guys/gals,

I came home to do my weekly maintenance on my tanks and noticed something on the glass of my betta's 5 gallon tank. I did some googling and found planaria as being a possible suspect, but from the photo's I've seen, they don't look the same. But these are really small, which may be the reason why...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm worried about "fish" as my 2 year named him

Over feeding has been a slight issue in the past, but hopefully has been remedied... so don't know if this is just planaria or something else I need to be concerned about.

They seem to be moving in snail/slug/inch wormish way and not squiggly as they say planaria usually does... There is an "outbreak" of them on the left corner and on the front left (in front of the filter) in the fts view.

Thanks for your help!

Also, I have 3 Oto's in there that I put in to help with a diatom outbreak and was planning on moving them back to their home. Would moving them back risk bringing these to the 75g tank?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yep! Those are planaria. Planaria glide around like slugs. I've never seen them "squiggle" or swim through open water.

You can use an anthelmenthic on them, but usually they more or less go away if you just reduce feeding. Some fish will eat them also.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
yup, those are planaria. they are flatworms and are harmless. feed less and their numbers should go down.

75G Paludarium Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

filstar pimp #171

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Mog
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thanks. I was guilty of overfeeding my Betta and cut that down a week or so ago. I did a 50% pwc and vacuumed the gravel as much as I could. Hopefully that will help and they will disappear soon.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Step away from the fish food.....

If you want to, you can head over HERE and get Panacur.

One or two doses and you'll be done.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
If I don't overfeed and there are planaria what would be the cause? Some of my planaria are not white, but a darkish red.
please advise
THANKS!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

guppygolucky,

From my past experience rearing cichlids, reducing feeds does not eliminate planaria. Basically once planaria outbreak starts, it will not clear no matter what you do... believe me, I have NUKED my tank with bleach many times, and after 2 weeks, they come back. I believe, their eggs are in the fish food pellets..

Reducing feeds, does however, reduce their quantities.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well feeding less wil not eliminate them completely, but it will reduce their numbers as they will not have enough food to support big numbers. it's normal to have a few of them in a tank (almost everyone does, even if they don't see them), but not normal to have them in such huge numbers.

75G Paludarium Build Thread:

filstar pimp #171

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode