Purple Water???? What??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Purple Water???? What???

Someone please explain this to me (hopefully). I gots sumpin funky going on here.

Went on a Duckweed hunt the past two days and pulled out a ton of it. Put in some freshwater in the container and after several hours, THIS is what I find....

No, your eyes are not deceiving you....that water is purple. It was clear when it went it. Now it's purple after adding Duckeed.

What the blankety, blank, blank is up with this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
the plants are dying... which is discoloring the water.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
haha woah! i highly doubt that its because the plant are dying. the water turns greyish or brownish definitely not purple. did you get the duckweed from your tank? or did you go outside to collect it?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilshieh View Post
haha woah! i highly doubt that its because the plant are dying. the water turns greyish or brownish definitely not purple. did you get the duckweed from your tank? or did you go outside to collect it?
why do you doubt it? is it just your minds refusal to believe plants can discolor water? definitely not purple? I beg to differ, so would the photo's. or are you assuming he has some new strain of wild rare isotope bearing duckweed.

ever seen a maple tree in the fall reds, yellows, oranges, near purples. its just chlorophyll death. when dying chloropghyll is exposed to anthocyanins the colors go all funky hence the color of maple leaves in the fall. no reason why dying plant matter cant mix in a concentrated solution like in the photo's providing some pretty extreme color shift

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Is it dying becuse the layer is too thick in the container? light is not getting to the plants at the bottom?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

duck weed is an floating emergent plant (the tops of the leaves are air exposed) all the ones forced under the water are "drowning" probably starving for co2 since they are designed to collect co2 from atmospheric air instead of water.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
that is a very thick mass of duckweed... i can see the yellowing in the picture. the under layer is dying.

75G Paludarium Build Thread:

filstar pimp #171
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Maybe they have a bunch of phenols or red pigments that are leaking out like red cabbage leaks when you boil it. Try to add some acid to it. If it turns clear you have your answer.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
I literally just pulled this out the tank. I would have to wonder if it would die out that quickly. It's not even 24hrs old. I have even pulled out Duckweed in this manner before and the water never turned purple before. Had it sitting for days without a color change. Very, very odd.

We just got back from dinner and it was even darker purple. I drained the container and replaced with fresh tap water. We'll see what happens.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0816 View Post
I literally just pulled this out the tank. I would have to wonder if it would die out that quickly. It's not even 24hrs old. I have even pulled out Duckweed in this manner before and the water never turned purple before. Had it sitting for days without a color change. Very, very odd.

We just got back from dinner and it was even darker purple. I drained the container and replaced with fresh tap water. We'll see what happens.
if you or I were to stick our head under water and see how long it takes before we start dying of oxygen starvation it would be much faster.

just as a comparison granted its not a perfect similarity but you see what I'm trying to point out: the plant is not designed to be submerged, you have a massive amount submerged in a very small amount of water. its going to die off fairly quickly, just like you or I would if we were submerged.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode