Help me. Ordered to get my whole 75g setup now - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Help me. Ordered to get my whole 75g setup now

My new wife wants whatever is going in the house to be in the house. That means out with the 29g that I planned to put some sub adult Angels in from my 46g as they grow. I have 7 in total.
So my list
75g tank - best price?
Paintball C02 - I know, but I have 5 20oz tanks. The refill place is 5 minutes away and it's $15 to fill all of them.
Don't know about a glass diffuser or the inline.
Rena XP3 and cycled Penguin 350
Catalina 3*54 T5HO
Id like to use primarily ecocomplete.
What am I missing? Point me to sales. Can I put all 7 in the 75g?
I don't know what to do about a stand as I'm not crazy about spending $170 on some cheap MDF crap.
How long do I let it cycle? When can I add plants? Inverts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 06:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
If you are getting an Aqueon 75g you won't be able to use the Penguin 350 as the plastic trim is too thick for the filter to go on.

What type of heater do you have? I'd go inline on both the heater and the co2 diffuser.

You can add plants right off the start.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsaicin_MFK View Post
If you are getting an Aqueon 75g you won't be able to use the Penguin 350 as the plastic trim is too thick for the filter to go on.

What type of heater do you have? I'd go inline on both the heater and the co2 diffuser.

You can add plants right off the start.
Hadn't chosen a heater. Will the Hydor fit the hosing on the Rena? I'll keep the 350 in my pile and throw one of the ones from the 29g on to start (a 200) and do an extra XP1 or XP2 later as I tend to overstock and like the extra filtration.
Any ideas where I can get a nicer real wood stand to support the tank. I'll also look for a diffuser.
This will be my first totally new upstart in 5 years so I'm hoping I don't have the problems I've seen others have (green water and such).
Should I add ferts from the start?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Quote:
Hadn't chosen a heater. Will the Hydor fit the hosing on the Rena?
Yes, you need the 5/8" model. Either Eth 300 In-Line Heater 300 Watt or Eth 201 In-Line Heater 200 Watt.

Quote:
Any ideas where I can get a nicer real wood stand to support the tank.
This is all dependent on what you want to spend my friend. Stands can be as cheap as $100 or ranging into thousands.

Quote:
'll also look for a diffuser.
I have been using water filter housing as a reactor lately and i must say its probably the best CO2 diffusion I have had to date (and I run it off my XP3 also). I am not a fan of the mist of co2 and like all that "stuff" to just happen with the filtration. Quiet, no bubbles or gurgling noises.

Quote:
This will be my first totally new upstart in 5 years so I'm hoping I don't have the problems I've seen others have (green water and such).
Patience, water changes and good fertilization routine. Hold off on fish as long as you can and get the plants established. It just removes so much of a variable in my opinion by NOT having fish, but YMMV and this is only my opinion.
Quote:
Should I add ferts from the start?
Fertilization in some capacity is a must IMO. Why starve them of food? Do you not eat when you do something new? Plants need nutrients to grow. Without them, you will have problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Looks like the best deal on the tank is $190 at Petsmart with a top and light I won't use.
Best deal on a pre made stand (I have no tools or skill) is them at $165
At least I'll do OK on the filter, light, and substrate.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Gatekeeper your 75 is beautiful. I'm going to pretty much copy the layout. I'm going to do a few rocks and a few different plant choices. My wife saw your tank and was lik "oooh, do it like that" so thank you for the good start.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
You can always split outflows if you have a device with too small of a fitting and don't want to cause back pressure. Putting an inline ball valve will allow you to adjust.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Hey thanks man. I'm flattered, albeit I am no aquascaper to say the least. I copy a lot of other peoples ideas and move a lot of things around. He he. It actually is a lot better now that I put a back on the aquarium so the plants really pop now.

The pricing you are getting is pretty good. Have you checked craigslist??? Thats where I got my tank and there are always people selling stands and such on there.

FWIW, I use the Catalina 4x54 T5HO and I am pretty satisfied with it. I did get the LED moonlights with it, but they suck on this fixture. Very dim for some reason compared to the 36" fixture which has very bright LED's.

Considered mineralized topsoil at all? Save a lot of money and all you need is a capping substrate (but Eco could serve that function too). I used Eco for years and still think its a great substrate, just a bit pricey for the "magic juice".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
The pricing you are getting is pretty good. Have you checked craigslist??? Thats where I got my tank and there are always people selling stands and such on there.

FWIW, I use the Catalina 4x54 T5HO and I am pretty satisfied with it. I did get the LED moonlights with it, but they suck on this fixture. Very dim for some reason compared to the 36" fixture which has very bright LED's.

Considered mineralized topsoil at all? Save a lot of money and all you need is a capping substrate (but Eco could serve that function too). I used Eco for years and still think its a great substrate, just a bit pricey for the "magic juice".
There was nothing on Craigslist that was much of a deal especially considering I'd be gambling on a used tank. Picking up the tank and stand, ordering driftwood, filter, light and substrate tomorrow.
MTS is too much time and effort as well as it being too dirty for my wife to deal with. I'm also getting the rest of what I need for the C02 system.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode