LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
ro unit for a renter?

Pros/cons of an Ro unit?

Which one do you have/use?

Good features, ones to stay away from?

Would like to get one that can be disconnected/connected for moving. Also starting to build up equipment to help better manage tanks.

If I go to the lfs to get water I always end up buying more than I wanted(other than water)! Eats into my project budget! Tap water here is high in iron so doing wc results in algae outbreaks. Tried water stores, but they're inconsistent, as I've tested "Ro" water from some places and it comes up with same ph as tap and only slightly less algae outbreak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I used a Spectrapure system ~8 years ago on my reef. Their systems have advanced then. All you need is a quick disconnect to easily attach and remove it from your bathroom or kitchen faucet.

http://www.spectrapure.com/St_rodi_systems.htm
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
since RO owners will chime in on this thread I want to add something, I'm a renter who moved into a house that has an RO unit already installed, the owner has no idea when stuff has been changed, and I don't plan on drinking the water and seeing if its fine and dandy lol, is there a way to test it or should I just replace all the filters?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxsoulja3 View Post
since RO owners will chime in on this thread I want to add something, I'm a renter who moved into a house that has an RO unit already installed, the owner has no idea when stuff has been changed, and I don't plan on drinking the water and seeing if its fine and dandy lol, is there a way to test it or should I just replace all the filters?
you can test the tds out of the faucet, with a tds meter. I personally would change all the media and back wash the the tfc membrane.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacory View Post
Pros/cons of an Ro unit?

Which one do you have/use?

Good features, ones to stay away from?

Would like to get one that can be disconnected/connected for moving. Also starting to build up equipment to help better manage tanks.

If I go to the lfs to get water I always end up buying more than I wanted(other than water)! Eats into my project budget! Tap water here is high in iron so doing wc results in algae outbreaks. Tried water stores, but they're inconsistent, as I've tested "Ro" water from some places and it comes up with same ph as tap and only slightly less algae outbreak.
testing the PH of ro water is completely meaningless. the co2 content of the surrounding air skews the test. the ph of pure water is 7.0 but add just a couple molecules of co2 and the ph plummets. dont waste your time on that. the only way to know if the Ro unit is working properly is to test the Total dissolved solids (TDS)

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Planted Member

So if I got a TDS tester, and it shows proper levels for RO water, is it safe to drink? I don't want to replace the filters and all of that in a rental house, I'm assuming they are pretty costly.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxsoulja3 View Post
So if I got a TDS tester, and it shows proper levels for RO water, is it safe to drink? I don't want to replace the filters and all of that in a rental house, I'm assuming they are pretty costly.
depending on how many stages, they are about 5-10 apiece at home depot. the TFC membrane is about 70 but that can be backflushed to renew it.

yes if the tds is low it will be safe to drink. if your rental has an RO unit to make the water potable the landlord is responsible for proper upkeep of the unit.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Planted Member

I am not sure why they have it installed to be honest, but I did some digging today and this is what I found:
I have a GXRV10ABL01 unit by GE
It has a place for two filters

I know everyone said it won't matter but I did a PH test
from RO unit 6.0ph
from Tap 7.0 to 7.2

So I atleast know it is lowering the PH, I ordered a TDS tester to do the rest of the testing.

I have found the filters online for about 14 bucks for two. Can you post which ones from home depot I can get for that low cost? I also can't seem to locate the filter wrench, i'm guessing it is pretty necessary?

What is involved in backflushing the TFC? I can get 4 filters, and a new TFC for about 50 bucks online, might be easier to just replace it all. I have been reading the manual, the sanitising stuff looks fun, its in a TIGHT area under my sink so getting to all this is going to be a pain but I want to do CRS/CBS shrimp so I know the RO water helps alot in that area.

The only other issue is the tank is only like 1.3 gallons, to fill up my tanks would take forever, lol I'm not sure how worth it all this is.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (17/100%)
1.3 gallon tank? There are so many good uses for ro/di water...but for a 1.3 gallon tank...I'd just buy a few gallons of distilled water from the grocery store and call it a day.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soc200 View Post
1.3 gallon tank? There are so many good uses for ro/di water...but for a 1.3 gallon tank...I'd just buy a few gallons of distilled water from the grocery store and call it a day.
I think he means the storage tank for the RO water is only 1.3 gallons
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (17/100%)
Gotcha. I actually got lost for a minute. I didn't realize the thread had already been hijacked from the original poster
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
I got a ro/di unit off e-bay, purewaterclub. Cost like $60 bucks and it works just fine. I hear the spectrapure units are great but they are a little more pricey. As with all things I think the sky is the limit in terms of price, but if you are getting 0 TDS water then you are good to go. I have mine plumbed into my kitchen sink without having to puncture any pipes. Just got some connections from Lowes.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Planted Member

yeah to the OP, sorry for the hijack, but I will say that having seen how they installed mine it looks like if you have room under the sink, you could do this yourself in about an hour, basic connections, and atleast with my GE unit the manual was easy to follow.

I ordered filters and membrane, I have read the instructions for sanitizing the unit about 10 times and feel like it won't be too difficult.

I read that I have an automatic shut off valve which I'm guessing works based on pressure in the storage tank, is it possible to unhook the storage tank and run a line straight to my tank and it just pump it into the tank and then I hook it back up later? I have a little faucet on my sink that dispenses it, I would have to take like a bowl of water at a time and dump it into a 5 gallon bucket lol it would take quite a while.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode