Last man out....Updated News! - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: What should be done with poor Nigel?
Let him enjoy the good life with his old tankmates in the planted 75 gallon tank. 3 25.00%
Send him slumming with the goldfish! 0 0%
Find him a new fishy home via Craigslist. 8 66.67%
None of the above! I'm posting a better idea in the thread below 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Last man out....Updated News!

Over these last 2 months I've been working hard at starting up a 75 gallon, fully planted, high tech tank in my basement family room with the intent of moving the inhabitants of my 55 gallon freshwater community tank into that new tank as soon as its able to support them. I got off to a rocky start, but things have been moving right along smoothly the last few weeks and I'm down to my final inhabitant in the old tank. Its a 6 or 7 year old common plecostomus. He's gotten quite big over the years (he's maybe 7 or 8 inches long) and I'm worried about him wrecking havoc on the new tank. The new tank has a layered substrate consisting of peat moss, then laterite with a sprinkling of osmocote, then capped off with Tahitian moon sand. My old tank had a river rock/gravel substrate. I'm really not sure how this grumpy old pleco (more commonly known as "Nigel" to my kids) is going to behave himself with the new substrate. I have no doubts he could kick up quite a Tahitian moon storm should he choose to. Is he likely to choose to do that though? Since I want to convert my 55 gallon tank back into the reef tank it once was, he can't stay there. But I could put him into my son's 10 gallon goldfish tank as an alternative. I know that is kind of small for him, but there are only 2 goldfish in there so he could have most of that room for his own use. Then maybe 6 months from now once the 75 gallon planted tank is more mature (with deeper roots) I could reconsider moving him in down there.

So what do you guys think? Should I move Nigel on up to the deluxe planted tank? Or send him slumming with the goldfish? Any other ideas? I am open to all advice!

Thanks!
Leanne

***Update****
Well, thanks to all of your lovely advice, Nigel is currently ejoying his deluxe new digs in the 75g planted tank. So far, so good! He hasn't destroyed anything, nor has he distrupted the layered substrate in any way. I'm hopeful that this is going to work out just fine! I will be sure to seek out more advice should things go wrong. But for now at least all is well that ends well.

Last edited by Laenini; 05-16-2011 at 05:14 AM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
whatever you do, please dont put him in the ten gallon! its way way way too small for a pleco that big. even i there are only a few goldfish in there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
The ten gallon is absolutely unacceptable. Sorry to tell you but you will have to trade this guy in to your LFS or give him to a friend. Perhaps someone on the forum will be willing to buy him. You want to use species like bristlenose plecos for planted tanks as they only get about 4-5 inches max. A common pleco that big will end up eating your plants because he is too big to just clean algae off them. That's what's good about the bristlenose, they clean all the algae off your leaves but leave the plant unhurt.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
the 10g is a death sentence for a fish that big.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:46 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laenini View Post
But I could put him into my son's 10 gallon goldfish tank as an alternative. I know that is kind of small for him, but there are only 2 goldfish in there so he could have most of that room for his own use.
Thanks!
Leanne
I almost had a heart attack. Whatever you do, do not do this. I know it sounds silly, but 2 goldfish in a ten gallon is already overstocked. Putting an 8+ inch pleco in there will literally kill all of the fish in there. Just like that. I cannot stress this enough. I would seriously consider rehoming him; I would, however give him to your LFS. That way you're not giving him to some random guy that just buys your pleco... Good luck.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Trade him in at a LFS for store credit. If no store will take him, then Craigslist.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
A fish like that is like an old friend. I'd sure hate to have to sell, trade, or give away the fish.

I'd give the old guy a chance in the new tank. There may be no issues at all. Plecos, when they get big, sometimes get lazy, and are not too interested in stirring things up.

If he doesn't work out, you can always sell, trade, or give him away.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Akira
give him a chance as davek has suggested man..10g is brutal..

Eheim Pimp #292

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
You know, Dave and Akira have a point. I can keep the 55 he is in up and running for a bit so that its available as a quick place to put him if things go bad in the new, planted tank. Then I can go ahead and try him in the new tank and see what happens. He's even welcome to eat a few plants, there is nothing special in there that I would begrudge him as a snack. I'm mostly just worried about him disturbing my carefully layered substrate so that bottom layer ends up on top. But even if that happens, the tank can recover from that, can't it? Is there really any harm so serious he can inflict that I can't fix back up again?

Otherwise, what would be the smallest tank he could comfortably be kept in? While I really want to go back to a reef with my 55 gallon tank, maybe I could set something else up that he could live out his "retirement" in? Gee, an excuse to set up another tank? I think I could talk myself into that pretty easily... I've always wanted an angel fish tank. Maybe I could do something for him that I could keep a few angels in too. What do you guys think?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
I agree, just give it at least a couple weeks from the last stems you plant in the 75g and give him a shot. Anything with shallow stems might not last, but see what happens. Just remember the pleco will keep growing.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laenini View Post
You know, Dave and Akira have a point. I can keep the 55 he is in up and running for a bit so that its available as a quick place to put him if things go bad in the new, planted tank. Then I can go ahead and try him in the new tank and see what happens. He's even welcome to eat a few plants, there is nothing special in there that I would begrudge him as a snack. I'm mostly just worried about him disturbing my carefully layered substrate so that bottom layer ends up on top. But even if that happens, the tank can recover from that, can't it? Is there really any harm so serious he can inflict that I can't fix back up again?

Otherwise, what would be the smallest tank he could comfortably be kept in? While I really want to go back to a reef with my 55 gallon tank, maybe I could set something else up that he could live out his "retirement" in? Gee, an excuse to set up another tank? I think I could talk myself into that pretty easily... I've always wanted an angel fish tank. Maybe I could do something for him that I could keep a few angels in too. What do you guys think?
You do realize pleco's can live ~20 years, right? He's going to continue to grow. If he's only 7-8 inches after like 6-7 years, he hasn't been fed right. My 8 year old pleco is pushing 15"...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode