Breeding? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Breeding?

Hello all,I have a 55g tank fairly heavy planting low tech,crypt,sword,fern.With livebearers-platys swordtails guppies.and some other fish.Anyhow these fish are all supposed to be easy breeders but i have yet to see any of them plump up.No babies,1 male guppy 2 females 1 male sword 2 females etc.Heck even some small red shrimp that are suposed to breed like rabbits,but still nothing.water temp is solid at 75 thanks to hydor.lol.Havent tested water ever but plants and fish are all alive good color etc.Any ideas why they may not be reproducing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Algae Grower

water changes have helped alot for my with "easy fish" in the past. also, a 55g may be on the big side. might have been lucky with the livebearers in a 10-29g tank. my mollys only bread in my 55g cuz i started with 20plus of them where as i started with less then 8 guppys and had little or no luck. idk for sure though.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I typically do a 15% water change every week sometimes 2 depending.Perhaps ill try and buy a few more of each,ill end up with more fish either way.Haha!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Well if you like endlers, which are similar, but even prettier, then pm me... I have too many so I'm selling them.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
generally fish reproduce during the rainy season when wzater is constantly refreshed, or in the case of your live bearers who originate in streams, the water is constantly refreshed.

try some waterchanges.

As a side note: I have never had a live bearer not get pregnant if there are members of both sex present. try double checking the sexing on your fishes. fish store employees aren't always right when they net them out.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
As a side note: I have never had a live bearer not get pregnant if there are members of both sex present. try double checking the sexing on your fishes. fish store employees aren't always right when they net them out.
Agreed. Usually all you need to do with livebearers to get them to breed is put them in the same tank. Careful what you wish for....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefkprZ View Post
generally fish reproduce during the rainy season when wzater is constantly refreshed, or in the case of your live bearers who originate in streams, the water is constantly refreshed.

try some waterchanges.

I bought the fish from a great lfs.I can tell the difference as well,maybe a twice a week change may help?I also have some cories a rainbow shark and a clown loach,however i havent noticed any of the females plumping up so there wouldnt even be babies to eat.I kept cichlids for about 8yrs prior and switched to live bearers since they are easy to breed.LOL! Oh well nothing is dying so eventually they may all explode with babies at once.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Algae Grower

I agree with the water changes , also make it just a little cooler then the tank water , that seems to help me out some
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
How old are the fish? Sometimes young females don't look as plump and will only drop a few babies, it's possible that this has happened and the babies are hiding in the plants, or got sucked into the filter and are living in there (i've had that happen) How long have you had the fish? If this is a new environment for them, they might just need some time to acclimate, and it takes a while for them to look plump even if they're pregnant. Unless you've had full adults for many months with no signs of pregnant females.

Water changes might jump start them to get "into the mood" too, so that's definitely worth a shot!

I also have never had livebearers not reproduce as long as there was a male and a female so it's probably just a matter of time

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode