quarantine tank size/set up - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
quarantine tank size/set up

What size quarantine tank do you keep? How is it set up?

Right now I have a 15 gallon with just plain gravel, hob filter, piece of driftwood, heater, and air stone coming off a 3 way splitter mounted on the back of my display tank.

I want to get a bigger tank/fish and am not sure the 15g tall is enough for qt angles or similar fish. Also, any downfall to planting your qt tank? I'm getting tired of looking at a plain glass box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)
I have a 10 gallon bare bottom with 1 HOB filter & a heater and that's about it..

I wouldn't plant a quarantine tank just because It would be a lot harder to keep it clean & keep track of your fish's poop. having a bare bottom tank for that purpose is perfect & easier to clean

I wouldn't worry to much about getting a larger QT tank for fish, It really dosen't matter what type of size the tank is, It's only temporary anyways.. AND it's easier to dose with medicine, cheaper too..

That's just me, I'm sure there is different things people do.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacory View Post
What size quarantine tank do you keep?
I would say it depends somewhat on how many and how large of fish you intend to quarantine at once. I think the primary factor to consider is if the bio filter can handle the fish load. If you're good there you can get away with what would be considered overcrowding in a display tank during the QT period. I use a 10g and it works fine for bringing new groups (6-15) of smallish (1-2") fish.

When I root I root for the Timbers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Depends on the goal, and how serious your entry program is. It now takes me about six weeks to place any new fish in my systems. Also it depends on what type of fish.

I have a bare 10g for chem treatments and a 20L for isolation and worming.
Depending on how many are received in the order, if they'll all fit in the 10g they go in it for 2-3 days just for a good look then in the 20L.
The 20gL quarantine is loaded with plants and cycled before the fish arrived. Daily I'll check ammonia and nitrite to make sure the plants and the HOB filter are keeping up with the increased livestock loading.
After a week I'll first treat with flubendazole then move to the next plant safe parasite med. Without anything exciting after 45 days I can add them to my tanks.
It may be harder on me if things go south starting with a planted introduction/quarantine but the fish are calm, and they settled in so much faster with a furnished tank. The plants do help with the water quality too helping balance with the changed bio-load. All the plants are low light fast growers so if I have to break things down because I receive a truly nasty surprise with new fish all I lose is time because I reload with trimmings from the other tanks. I can't imagine doing an extended quarantine in a bare tank. Dealing daily with siphoning the waste and water changes. Not to mention species like pandas, otto's, abn or loaches that feel better with cover. They stay stressed the whole time in a bare tank (pvc tubes aren't much better). One somewhat disposable quarantine/introduction system and the patience to use it is the only way to protect all the hard work of multiple tanks.(in my opinion)

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode