Help me plan my light limited system dosing routine and more - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Help me plan my light limited system dosing routine and more

I'm going to be re-setting up my old 75 gallon planted to more of a light limited system I would say. The specs will be as follows; Filters are a Rena XP3 and Marineland 350 Magnum, with a Koralia 750 for extra movement. The lights are a triple T8 fixture by Aqueon which has nice reflectors, 3 bulbs @ 32 watts each, thinking all will be just Philips 6700k bulbs I get at home depot, any problems with those? I used only 2-3 of them on my last 75 with decent growth, just algae as well since my system was not balanced i'm guessing. Well then I also will have an extra single aqueon T8 fixture again that houses my DIY moonlights but can still hold that extra 4th T8 for the tank if needed. Should I use a 4th T8, maybe as a noon burst if at that? 6700k spectrum as well? Let me know.

Since I plan on keeping it on the lower light side for the light limited approach, I will also be injecting pressurized CO2 into the tank. I have a basic regulator setup with a 5lb tank and am deciding which is the best way to diffuse it, through a diffuser under the koralia or through a reactor setup to my Magnum 350?

Side note is that substrate will be flourite black sand with root tabs near the heavy feeders like swords and crypts I want, etc. Last but not least, I need some serious fertilizer help. I've always felt I'm either under dosing or over dosing my tanks and always think I've had imbalances in the past since i've yet to have an algae free tank or even one with just no BBA or nasty algae since being in this hobby for a few years now.
Okay so what should I do? I have dry ferts on hand. I have KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, CSM+B, and even some Seachem Equilibrium. Also have excel on hand just in case. Please help me figure out a routine for this tank. You now have the specs of the tank and what kind of lighting and co2 I have, I feel I really need to just piece this part together. I like the whole low light approach to tanks for the low maintenance part but my last low light tank, kinda the Tom Barr Low Light method, and I went down in a ball of algae flames! The war with algae was out of control and I only used to T8's. Lol. So I figured maybe co2 was a crucial part in it maybe along with ferts. So now I'm adding the CO2 this time hoping to get better results with a low light limited type of system. So I don't want any kind of 50% weekly water changes cause I really don't want to do that with this tank. I want this to be a lower maintenance, limited light, simple beautiful tank. Let me know how much of each fert I should add to the tank, I have a gram scale on hand too! And how often? Every other day, weekly, bi weekly, etc. And how often water changes if you think I need them and how much should be done when I do them?

I'm working with tap water here and a KH of less than 1 so my pH tends to go down to a 6. Im going to buffer it I guess with crushed coral in my filter, any ideas on a good amount to try for so I get about a 6.5 with a more stable kH around 3 or so on. I'm just also worried of pH swings with the CO2 in the tank. I have some really valuable angelfish I don't want to lose.

Also if it helps, my fish load is four 8-month old Angelfish, not huge but all over the half dollar size at these point. I also have 20 Rasbora Hets, 9 Rummynose Tetras, and 6 Cardinals. Right now the are all in the tank but will be taken out once I do the substrate switch and new equipment arrangement. The main Rena XP3 will still be running on a bucket of tank water to keep the bio filter alive.

Plants will be a couple swords, some java fern on driftwood, some anubias nana, various crypts, some chain sword I have for the foreground. Also plan to get some floaters to help fight algae off. What other plants would you recommend I get or is this enough to start? If not, what are some nice stems that will be fast growers and fit in with those other plants.

So there is all is, at least what I can think of for now. Please give me any help you can to all these issues! Thanks!

Bryan

PS. I also have this over on Tom Barr's forum just in case some of our members hang out there too like me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Bump for any advice

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRSRocker3390 View Post
...am deciding which is the best way to diffuse it, through a diffuser under the koralia or through a reactor setup to my Magnum 350?
I'm sure both work fine. I don't happen to like bubbles in my tank so I use a reactor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRSRocker3390 View Post
So I don't want any kind of 50% weekly water changes cause I really don't want to do that with this tank. I want this to be a lower maintenance, limited light, simple beautiful tank. Let me know how much of each fert I should add to the tank
Wish I could help you there. For me the simplest regime is EI. It takes so much of the guesswork out. Lower light works fine with EI and you get less maintenance because you get slower growth. But you need to buy into the water changes. If you get a good system setup the water changes really aren't much work. Plus, they keep you engaged with your tank.

When I root I root for the Timbers!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Any advice on the other stuff? Any advice on dosing in this particular situation. EI is not practical for me since I don't think it's needed. I'm sure a simpler option for tanks like this exist.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode