Does this sound right? (60 gallon tank) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face Does this sound right? (60 gallon tank)

I've decided to do a 60 gallon planted fish tank for the family to enjoy.

It is 45" x 18" x 18".
The light is 18" and sits in the middle, a T5 with two white florescent / one blue... (not sure how to find out the watts?)
Also have a canister filter set up.

I plan to do a fairly simply scape, ALOT of java moss, possibly grass and a few stem plants... For fish, I plan to build up to 40-50 schooling fish of tetra's / harlequins and lots of shrimp.

I've read around to answer most of my questions, but there are still just a few things I'm confused about...

1) Do I really need to 'fert' my plants if there are fish there? Do my plants even need ferts?
2) Does it sound like I have enough light? I have some of indirect sunlight too
3) Can so few plants sustain the fish I plan to keep?

Blah, sorry if I am asking alot of common questions, but the advice is very very very much appreciated! (Trying to complete my trip to buy plants asap)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Banned

PTrader: (36/86%)
Find out what your bulbs are. 18" fixture and three bulbs? if so, I would use 2 x 65K's and 1 10K. if there are 2 bulbs, 1 x 65k and one 10K bulb.
what brand and model is your filter too? im kinda new to this planted tank set up too.... but I would use bottled ferts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
An 18" fixture is probably not going to be long enough to get light to the ends of the tank. You would really want at least a 36" fixture. I wouldnt personally go with direct sunlight you willmore than likely wind up with algae. Also the blue bulbs are worthless for a planted tank. A 6500k is what you will want to use. Some plants can survive without co2 and ferts. Just dont expect a lot of growth from them. Stuff like hygro, crypts anubias. Hope some of this is useful good luck!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknow View Post
An 18" fixture is probably not going to be long enough to get light to the ends of the tank. You would really want at least a 36" fixture. I wouldnt personally go with direct sunlight you willmore than likely wind up with algae. Also the blue bulbs are worthless for a planted tank. A 6500k is what you will want to use. Some plants can survive without co2 and ferts. Just dont expect a lot of growth from them. Stuff like hygro, crypts anubias. Hope some of this is useful good luck!
I see I see. Tanks!!!!

Does light not reaching the ends of the tank cause a problem? Other than slowing down growth in those areas...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
You could get a second 18 inch light and run the long ways front to back.

Although I'm not sure if this would be too much light, but it would at least ensure better coverage.

The only reason to fert plants is if the water is missing something they need to stay healthy, for example a lack of iron can cause plants to lose color. Some hardy beginner, low light plants will grow and stay healthy without ferts. I have a feeling as already said, the ends of your tank may not have enough light. You could also get a couple desk lamps and put CFL bulbs in them to cover the ends.

I'm not sure I really understand your 3rd question. Are you intending for the fish to eat the plants for sustenance?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm not entirely sure if there is a relationship between fish-plants.... aka, more plants means I can have more fish because they need more oxygen?

Since I plan to mostly have a carpet of java moss and only a few stem plants, something as simply and as bare as possible.... it doesn't seem like a 'heavily planted' tank to sustain the fishies oxygen. What is a heavily planted tank exactly anyway o.O I always envisage a forest.

Thanks for the replies, really want to avoid mistakes but i think they're gonna happen lol
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 04:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (67/99%)
Don't be concerned with oxygen, just make sure to have some surface agitation. Don't run you lights from front to back, keep it parallel with the aquarium. Get a second 18" fixture. You don't want to have one part of the aquarium much brighter than another. You need to have a balance between lights CO2 and nutrients. If you don't want to dose ferts and CO2, then keep the lighting low, however, you really should have the light equally spread out over the tank. You don't have to use every bulb, you can take some out. Don't go higher than 2 watts per gallon if you don't dose ferts or CO2.

You don't want to have any direct sunlight on your tank. It provides bursts of very strong light that do nothing for the plants, it will just cause a lot of algae.

-Bill

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimmer92 View Post
Don't be concerned with oxygen, just make sure to have some surface agitation. Don't run you lights from front to back, keep it parallel with the aquarium. Get a second 18" fixture. You don't want to have one part of the aquarium much brighter than another. You need to have a balance between lights CO2 and nutrients. If you don't want to dose ferts and CO2, then keep the lighting low, however, you really should have the light equally spread out over the tank. You don't have to use every bulb, you can take some out. Don't go higher than 2 watts per gallon if you don't dose ferts or CO2.

You don't want to have any direct sunlight on your tank. It provides bursts of very strong light that do nothing for the plants, it will just cause a lot of algae.
two 16 watt lights, so roughy 0.5wpg... I think javamoss/anacharis will do the trick then....

Thank you so much!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 06:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (67/99%)
I would bump that up to 4 16 watt lights. I haven't heard of anyone going as low as .5 wpg with a planted tank. 1 wpg is about the min. I have 3 wpg, but mine is high tech w/ CO2 injection and ferts.

-Bill

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimmer92 View Post
I would bump that up to 4 16 watt lights. I haven't heard of anyone going as low as .5 wpg with a planted tank. 1 wpg is about the min. I have 3 wpg, but mine is high tech w/ CO2 injection and ferts.
True - just heard from other threads that java moss/anacharis pretty much grow in any conditions...

Reluctant to buy another light because I'm already being interrogated so much by my family, am I the only one?

Will see how it goes for a week

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode