10g Lucky Bamboo Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10g Lucky Bamboo Tank

I'd like to do a 10 gallon tank with lucky bamboo, a betta or other fish (maybe a school of something small), a couple zebra nerite snails, and maybe some shrimp. I don't plan on filling the tank all the way to allow the leaves to be above the surface, and I also planned on not having a filter, instead relying on the fish for water movement, and the snails, shrimp, and bamboo, as well as water changes, for filtration.

What kind of substrate should I plan? Does lucky bamboo need soil? Are rocks necessary, or can it just be sand/sand and soil? [Insert other questions I don't even know I need to ask.]

This will, for all intents and purposes, be my first planted tank intended to be a planted tank from the start, so I wanna do it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You can really do any substrate you want (i.e. gravel, sand, etc). If I were you, I would so with sand. Sand can grow Nitrogen pockets so you will need something to turn over the sand. You could either go with Malaysian Trumpet Snail (Only snail that gets deep in sand bed and turns over sand) or go with stirring your hand in the sand every water change (this destroys Nitrogen pockets).

Lucky bamboo doesn't really need soil at all (I have 2 in a vase with only water in it and it grows fine).

Rocks aren't really necessary unless you want a cool decoration. And if your bamboo aren't really standing up that great on their own, you could use the rocks as support.

Since this tank is not going to be filtered, you are going to need to do a water change once a day or every 2-3 days. By doing so will keep the water clean and ammonia free.

A betta would be a great fish to do in this type of tank. Also, if you are wanting shrimp, try ghost shrimp (Both hardy and if the betta eats them, they are cheap to replace). Maybe if you betta doesn't attack them/eat them, could could try different type of shrimp (Like amano or Red cherry).

Have you looked into Internal filters? I'm sure you will be able to find one that will fit the tank
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
i've been thinking about doing the same here, but on a larger scale with filtration. either a 20 long or a 29G. been keeping an eye on craigslist for a cheap one...though i'd love to have a rimless for this project.

i've 8 or 9 stalks of lucky bamboo, ranging from 15" to about 36", just sitting in water. they're suuuper easy to keep. putting in a tank with fish...you'll need to worry more about keeping the fish alive than the plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP TANKS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regenesis View Post
You can really do any substrate you want (i.e. gravel, sand, etc). If I were you, I would so with sand. Sand can grow Nitrogen pockets so you will need something to turn over the sand. You could either go with Malaysian Trumpet Snail (Only snail that gets deep in sand bed and turns over sand) or go with stirring your hand in the sand every water change (this destroys Nitrogen pockets).

Lucky bamboo doesn't really need soil at all (I have 2 in a vase with only water in it and it grows fine).

Rocks aren't really necessary unless you want a cool decoration. And if your bamboo aren't really standing up that great on their own, you could use the rocks as support.

Since this tank is not going to be filtered, you are going to need to do a water change once a day or every 2-3 days. By doing so will keep the water clean and ammonia free.

A betta would be a great fish to do in this type of tank. Also, if you are wanting shrimp, try ghost shrimp (Both hardy and if the betta eats them, they are cheap to replace). Maybe if you betta doesn't attack them/eat them, could could try different type of shrimp (Like amano or Red cherry).

Have you looked into Internal filters? I'm sure you will be able to find one that will fit the tank
Well, I'm happy that just sand'll be good. (All my other tanks are sand, so I know the ins and outs of it. )

Also, now that you mention it, I do have a small internal filter I can use. I got it to use temporarily for water movement on a pico reef before I upgraded it. Since the tank won't be at capacity, it should handle it.

I'll have to do a bit of hunting to get my shrimp. Lol. For whatever reason, all the shops around here always seem to be out of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenche View Post
i've been thinking about doing the same here, but on a larger scale with filtration. either a 20 long or a 29G. been keeping an eye on craigslist for a cheap one...though i'd love to have a rimless for this project.

i've 8 or 9 stalks of lucky bamboo, ranging from 15" to about 36", just sitting in water. they're suuuper easy to keep. putting in a tank with fish...you'll need to worry more about keeping the fish alive than the plants.
I'd enjoy a larger one too, but for the amount of lucky bamboo I want in it, I'd be afraid it'd get a little too pricey if I went any bigger. I dunno. A 10g works for me.

Also, it's not too hard to make a rimless tank out of a standard tank, you just have to take your time and be careful.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
^ neither of which are areas of strength for me :P i'm impatient and not handy.

as for the bamboo...yea, it could add up quickly...if i were to do this, i'd probably try to negotiate for discount for such a large buy from one of the chinatown stores here. i'd probably buy at least 20 stalks. still would probably end up costing more than the tank...hrm.

RIP TANKS

"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/92%)
Hey guys thats an interesting concept. If you search for lucky bamboo on google there is a seller on amazon who sells 10 stalks for 5 dollars + shipping and other bigger packages. I have a 5.5 that i am interested in converting to this idea.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 06:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have six pieces of lucky bamboo in a nano tank, and I really like it. It gives my tank a cool 'desert island' sort of feel, especially when paired with a few nice rocks. The look is minimal and clean, which suits the understocked and sparse look I wanted to go for. People post all the time that this stuff is bad and does not grow, but I have had some for over a year, and not only has it not died like people said it was gonna, it has actually grown several inches instead! I planted mine in a few inches of a live sand substrate, and the roots have taken hold and spread throughout my tank. For what I wanted, and what you sound like you want, this is just the right thing.

I even have duckweed in my water bong!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
The only thing I've heard about bamboo is that you don't want to cut any part of the bamboo that's in the water b/c the sap that oozes out is toxic to fish.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixella View Post
The only thing I've heard about bamboo is that you don't want to cut any part of the bamboo that's in the water b/c the sap that oozes out is toxic to fish.
I had no idea this was the case. Thanks for the useful info.

I even have duckweed in my water bong!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode