Hardscape Advice - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: Which layout idea is best?
Stump slightly off centered 0 0%
1 stump in each corner 1 25.00%
1 stump in each corner and 1 slightly off centered 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Hardscape Advice

So I'm in the process of redoing my 55 gallon tank and need some advice on the design. I'm looking to making this into a riverbank/streambank tank to house mainly clown loaches. Ultimately I will be routing pvc under the substrate that will then connect to an inlet and outlet with two powerheads attached. I'm asking you all to envision this as I suck at drawing and can't post pictures of the ideas. I'm going to be making all of the hardscape out of foam and cement and then attaching them to the tank itself.

Idea #1:
Make a tree stump slightly off centered with a plant substrate surrounding it and plants surrounding the stump and attached to the stump itself. Then having pool filter sand on the outside of that to give it the stream like feel. Downfall with this is that the powerheads and inlets are exposed.

Idea #2:
Make 2 tree stumps in each corner that will cover the powerheads and inlets. The same idea of plants surrounding the stumps and attached to them as idea #1 and pool filter sand in the middle section.

Idea #3
Combination of the first two ideas with a total of 3 stumps and just the front section itself be pool filter sand.

All of these stumps will have roots coming out and will be sticking out of the substrate to give that natural look. Please help me out as I'm stuck with what would be the best idea to go with.

Thanks everyone for looking and helping with the decision process!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
All these views and nobody wants to say what they think would look better?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It's hard to envision what it would look like. Any of those ideas would work, and you can always find ways to hide equipment. Whichever you choose, try not to make things too symmetric, which may tend to happen with the 2 corner approach. Symmetry tends to look too formal, and therefore unnatural. Putting large structures in the direct center of the tank usually looks odd also. Like anything else in life however, there are exceptions to those guidelines.

One issue you may run into with the 3 stump approach is that a 55G tank has a shallow viewing depth. If you put 3 good sized stumps into the tank, you may not have much of a clear space in the front.

I know this isn't terribly helpful, but just a few things you may want to consider when setting this display up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode