HC turning yellow - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
HC turning yellow

Hi all I'm new to the forum and planted tanks. I started my very own planted tank about a month ago now and everything seems to be doing well except for my HC. my problem with it is the leaves are turning yellow. Sorry if this questions have been asked many times. I researched on a few things, such as lack in nitrogen and potassium? Im not sure, which is why i decided to raise this question again. Thanks!

My set up is a 25g tank running on a Eheim 2213 filter, pressurized co2 with the diffuser fitted near the filter intake. 4 T5 HO 24w florescent tubes with individual reflectors and on for 9 hrs a day along with co2.

I also use Tropica Plant Nutrition, dosing 10mL every week. Currently there are around 20 tetra's in the tank.

Ammonia = 0
PH = 6-6.8

That is all the information I have in hand as of now. Any idea's or comments is much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time!

Here are some pictures of the HC, sorry the pictures arent very clear. but if you see very closely, leaves are turning yellow. but somehow there is still pearling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0163.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	30740

Name:	IMG_0164.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	30741

Name:	IMG_0152.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	30742
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Hmm, I have nearly the exact same setup myself. How your moss is doing so well under the high lights amazes me, I have the same lighting and mine tends to turn brown from the high lights. My HC recently started yellowing too.
It has been growing great, big bushy growth covering a large section of the my tank, but lately I have seen some leaves yellowing. I thought of a couple things, I had recently overdosed on Excel trying to get rid of a small patch of staghorn algae. I also had stopped dosing KNO3 for the exact same reason.
So it could be either a nutrient issue or excel burn. Not sure.

Your situation may be different. Sounds like you might be experiencing a deficiency of some kind, possibly iron? Potassium?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think your biggest problem is with too high lighting. You need a lot of CO2 and fertz with that high light.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all for your kind input. I had a feeling it was either my light or ferts. The light was drawn from my brother's salt water set up, and it currently sitting 2 inch's above the water. Should I run 3 tubes instead of 4 for 9 hrs and up my weekly TPN dosage of 15mL - 20mL?

As for the moss, it did grow for sure, compared to what it was before. I'm really happy to see the results. However the moss is not entirely green, its a bit brown also. I have been researching on the reason also. Seems like its due to high water temperatures. I read moss grows the best somewhere between 25- 27 degrees C, and my tank temp is currently at 28-29 degree C. And of course high light is also the cause perhapes

Thank you once again for both your input!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 12:13 PM
GDP
Banned

PTrader: (5/100%)
If it was recently planted Hc it may just be adjusting to submerged conditions. Mine turned a little yellow at first then after about a month its super green now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

PTrader: (36/86%)
what kind of bulbs do you have? 6.5K? 10K?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

johnny, they are 6.5k

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode