Big Decision, need everybody's opinion - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Big Decision, need everybody's opinion

Summary: My new cardinal tetras are eating my shrimp and stealing their food and now I cannot sell my shrimp to raise money for the San Francisco Food Bank. I enjoy the fish but I also enjoy giving to those in need. Should I trade my fish or keep them as I enjoy the fish in the tank.
Hey everybody, I would like everybody to give their thoughts about my issue. Here's the background:
So last year, I bought my first live plants and red cherry shrimp. I soon got more than 100 and decided to sell some. When the money first came in, I had an idea. As a sophomore in high school at that time, college was all that was on my mind, and I needed more community service. So I decided to sell my shrimp and raise money for the San Francisco food bank. So far I have gotten them more than 1500 meals. The shrimp stock surpassed RCS and went to Yellow shrimp, amanos, and just last month, CRS. I have the RCS and Yellows in a 55 gallon and the CRS in a 29. I recently wanted some fish in the 55 as it is in my room. I bought 40 cardinals and threw them in there. Well that was when my RCS and Yellow shrimp stock began to decline as the cardinals ate the food and the babies.

So here is my predicament, do I want to trade in my Cardinals at the LFS and keep raising money for the SF Food Bank or keep the cardinal tetras that I believe complete the tank and I spend hours watching. I enjoy the business lessons I have learned through this shrimp selling ordeal where I give 75% of what I earn to the Food Bank but I really like the fish. So, there are really three options. Give the fish back and raise more money, keep the fish and only depend on the CRS tank for money, or move the RCS and yellows into the CRS tank and hope everything works out. Also, are there any other fish that you guys know about that would leave the shrimp alone. I was thinking about Marbled Hatchetfish but let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Think long-term
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well long term plays out like this. One, I enjoy helping others and it will help me get into college so that is somewhat long term. Also, I could trade in the cardinals and from the money I make from this, if I do get sick of no fish, I could always rebuy.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (206/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd
Consider adding another tank for your fish If helping the food back is that important to you (which is a great thing, btw), then its not really a decision.

You could try fish like b. brigittae, m. nanus, m. kubotai, or even dwarf cories (habrosus are my favorite) in y our tank as they would not predate on teh shrimp NEARLY as efficiently.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Haha, I was thinking about doing that but I already have 2 and a really nice and big emerald tree boa enclosure. I can't spend more time than I already do when I also have a job and school.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Do what you think is best. Honestly, if you spend hours looking at them in their current tank then you should have 20 minutes to spare maintaining another tank with them. that way you get to keep your fish and shrimps. Also...is it ok to keep yellow shrimp with cherry shrimp? I thought they were different color variations of the same species and breeding them together will make brown shrimp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikon Pimp Club #39
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well hours is more like study breaks that accumulate into hours. And yes, they do interbreed however I have never found it a problem, I have had one batch of brown shrimp and hundreds of red and yellows.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Dang, if you lived here in Danville, NH I'd give you a tank to keep up your wonderful support to that charity you're helping.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (67/99%)
I don't know much about shrimp, but I would say just put all the shrimp in one tank.. I am also donating half the money I make off of all the stuff I sell to help kids in my area go to a christian summer camp, or if no one needs funding, probably just donate it to a homeless shelter.

-Bill

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btimmer92 View Post
I don't know much about shrimp, but I would say just put all the shrimp in one tank.. I am also donating half the money I make off of all the stuff I sell to help kids in my area go to a christian summer camp, or if no one needs funding, probably just donate it to a homeless shelter.
The yellows and rcs would interbreed. Not good.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Here is a novel idea: Keep the money, buy another tank for the Cardinals, continue your Bubba Gump style shrimp operation afterwards. During that time that you won't be raising money, find local homeless and feed them to the hungry. Feed the homeless to the hungry. Two birds one stone. Harvard would like to see such efficiency on a resume, plus Ivy League schools tend to graduate future bosses who learn what this country is all about at such wonderful institutions: greed. After college you will likely look back on this and laugh at how foolish you were not to keep all of the money for yourself and buy a diamond earing, gold chain, or fancy watch. You could have spent is buying chrome rims so on a sunny day people can see your car from a distance. You could also go to a strip club with all of the money and throw it in the air, "make it rain," but you can't flinch as a mob will surround you rushing to grab all they can. If you want to be a real balla you can use 100's like members of Cash Money do.

Disclaimer: I volunteer with Orphans and take underprivileged children fishing.

Just like to mix it up once in a while, increase your blood pressure whether you were laughing or hoping to find out who I am and where I live.

Seriously if you love the Cardinals that much look on Craigslist for a cheap tank, use some shrimp money, and continue. If getting rid of the Cardinals means deflating that balloon that is your motivation, then figure out a way to keep them. Keeping yourself motivated in this case comes first because without that you will not be helping anyone much longer, and those people need you to keep your mojo. If you won't go through Cardinal withdrawal then you know what to do.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Brooklyn-NYC View Post
Here is a novel idea: Keep the money, buy another tank for the Cardinals, continue your Bubba Gump style shrimp operation afterwards. During that time that you won't be raising money, find local homeless and feed them to the hungry. Feed the homeless to the hungry. Two birds one stone. Harvard would like to see such efficiency on a resume, plus Ivy League schools tend to graduate future bosses who learn what this country is all about at such wonderful institutions: greed. After college you will likely look back on this and laugh at how foolish you were not to keep all of the money for yourself and buy a diamond earing, gold chain, or fancy watch. You could have spent is buying chrome rims so on a sunny day people can see your car from a distance. You could also go to a strip club with all of the money and throw it in the air, "make it rain," but you can't flinch as a mob will surround you rushing to grab all they can. If you want to be a real balla you can use 100's like members of Cash Money do.

Disclaimer: I volunteer with Orphans and take underprivileged children fishing.

Just like to mix it up once in a while, increase your blood pressure whether you were laughing or hoping to find out who I am and where I live.

Seriously if you love the Cardinals that much look on Craigslist for a cheap tank, use some shrimp money, and continue. If getting rid of the Cardinals means deflating that balloon that is your motivation, then figure out a way to keep them. Keeping yourself motivated in this case comes first because without that you will not be helping anyone much longer, and those people need you to keep your mojo. If you won't go through Cardinal withdrawal then you know what to do.
This made no sense.

But what I would do, is sell the 55G and get 2 40 gallon breeders and make a double rack/ shelf for the tanks. Buy a decent used or new canister filter off ebay or craigslist and have 1 tank for the cardinals and 1 tank for the shrimpies

Whats great about this and what I would do... every 100$ you make keep 40 for yourself, your projects, equipment, etc.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 04:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
You want everyones opinion well here is mine. I work in Law Enforcement and I deal with people that utilize many of these charities. I will say 99% because I can't say I've seen all, but every person I see derive benefit is a violent drug addict, disgusting alcoholic, or just a scum bag milking the system for a free ride. The people who operate most of them aren't even qualified to work as a cashier at a grocery store and steal left and right. Now I live in a different area than you, so instead of just writing a check, spend some time down there and see where your money goes. Alot of those "unfortunate" people bring in 4k a month tax free. The charity centers are like hubs to crime in the area.
My advice is to look out for you because no one else will. To get aid from the Govt or any of these charities you must show you are destitute and literally dying and refuse to work, oh boy, then does the money pile in. I can say this because I deal with it EVERYDAY while trying to avoid being stabbed over a beer, tuberculosis or HIV when they spit blood in my face in a drug fueled rage.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 05:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Wow guys relax. I don't know if that's the advice he was looking for, but that was a little bit over the top.

Fishykid has a fantastic idea. If you can break down the 55 and switch everything over to the two 40 tanks that would probably help you out a lot. You'd still be able to enjoy the tanks during break and still be able to help people. Good luck.

My 120 Gallon Shrimp Tank Rebuild finally started!!

New Journal:

Old Journal:

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #461
Two 2217s and 2215.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Actually I agree with The Dude kind of. While you're arranging the new 40g breeders, go spend time at the charity you give your money to and see if that is the sort of place you want to support. If not, food banks are typically a good choice if you specifically want to feed others.

Summer's coming so you should have a little time to spare for such a project.

Try to keep both, the fish and the shrimp. You may need to change about the types of shrimp you raise so they don't interbreed, but don't give the fish up either if you get so much enjoyment from them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode