need advice on downoi plants !!! bad downoi - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
need advice on downoi plants !!! bad downoi

hello all, NEED (MISPELLED) sorry

i need some expert advice today i recived a shipment of plants. I ordered some downoi plants from a website (I will withhold name and give seller a chance to resolve issue) i paid 34.00 for 6 rooted plants. but they came in looking like *@[email protected]*#@[email protected]@! to me am i being to picky? i dont think i am give me your opinon thanks in advance folks have a nice day more replys the better
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (18).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	30687  

Name:	photo (17) (1).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	30688  

Name:	photo (14).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	30689  

Last edited by formosus808; 05-06-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

got it thanks to flowmsp
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
They definately dont look healthy at all. Also thats really just one plant that they neglected to trim and replant imo. For the money you spent i would expect much better.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i got a few of those rooted sections but all looking like garbage quantity was fine but quality was awful seller told me that it looks like any other downoi plant picture on the internet im soo fustrated!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Lol it doesnt look like any other downoi to me. Not my pic but 2 seconds on google image.

Also how long was it in transit? Ive heard it can be somewhat fragile.
And to fix the title, go to edit>go advanced on the right side and you can change the title.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I've seen downoi like that, it is a stem plant after all, it'll just grow upand up and up. I agree it's in bad shape though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

haha thats what im thinking lol im gonna give this thread link to paypal in the dispute thanks for replying
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bump need more comments just your honest opinion thanks!!!!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I don't think you got as ripped off as you think. Did that $34 include shipping? Did each rooted plant have as many tops as the one in the picture? I mean, I admit it's not the best looking example of downoi out there, but it's sometimes how it grows, all upward like that. You could just cut the tops off, shove them in your substrate, and let them root. They will recover if your tank's conditions are appropriate, and then they will grow laterally the way you are used to seeing it in pictures of people's tanks.

But I agree with the others that it's not the best looking specimen, and the seller should have mentioned that they are growing upward.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 11:18 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
That's a pretty rough lookin batch dude.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
this is why i only buy from other people with tanks in my area... i bought some of that a few weeks ago from a guy in the area and got about 10 heads for 10$. i wouldn't trust plants shipped in other than moss.

that pogostemon looks awful (it looks worse than the extras i have sitting in a jar of water near the window with no ferts or anything...). the ends are rotting and it is very elongated, meaning it was "growing" in very low light (higher light means more compact growth). the picture flowsmp put up is what a healthy plant should look like.

imo, you got ripped off. i would try to get my money back. i suppose you could plant it and see, but it doesn't look good.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 04:43 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Looks like low light grown downoi. It'll bounce back, but it's more beat up that what I've seen. I see that it was wrapped in a newspaper? In my experience, any type of wet paper usually ruins the plant during shipping, which explains the rotting leaves. I'd ask for a partial refund, but I'd not expect a full one without shipping back the plant as it should grow.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hi folks thanks for all the info seller has refunded less shipping she wants it shipped back so if she pays for shipping plants are going back looking for a local source for downoi now.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 06:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/99%)
Downoi is a delicate plant. I see you're in Hawaii. Can I assume that the seller was on the mainland that it took more than 2-3 days to get to you? That may explain the melting and loss of leaves seen (pile of dead leaves in the newspaper). The growth is acceptable as long as the plant is healthy. All plants look different in different tanks depending on lights, nutrients, yaddy yaddy yadda.

Tank: 20 gallons, 62 watts t5, DIY CO2

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 06:51 AM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Looks like low light grown downoi. It'll bounce back, but it's more beat up that what I've seen. I see that it was wrapped in a newspaper? In my experience, any type of wet paper usually ruins the plant during shipping, which explains the rotting leaves. I'd ask for a partial refund, but I'd not expect a full one without shipping back the plant as it should grow.
Ditto on what Sara said here.

I don't blame you. I'd be pissed too if I ordered downoi and got that. If you want some nice looking downoi, hit me up and we'll see if we can work something out for you. This is what I've got.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSpET...eature=related

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode