water polishing... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
water polishing...

Sorry me again like i said before i have a lot to learn and this forum has been great so thanks to all your advise.

Eheim fine filter pad and fluval water polishing pads are pretty expensive bearing in mind how often they need changing. Is there a cheaper domestic option that can be cut to fit??
My water seems a little cloudy with quite a lot of floating particles. The filter media i have seems to be fine and in theory the tank is over filtered.. what causes cloudy water... over feeding? i find it hard not to feed my fish every time they look hungry im trying....
thanks again, you are all guru's in my eyes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Is it at all green? Get a white paper or styrofoam cup and fill it with tank water to check the color.

And how long have the tank and filter been running?

You can always get purigen for water polishing, but water polishing is for really fine-tuning clarity. It sounds like either basic filtration issues (which may clear up over a period of a few days) or green water (which could be fixed by a blackout period, a UV sterilizer, water changes, lower lighting, more CO2 and fertilizers, or any combination of the above).
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

filter have been running 7/8 weeks, doesnt seem to be green. ok i will wait a week and see what happens.
Appologies again for the stupid questions, as i am bluffing my way through this i always think the worst, panic and post on here invested tooo much money and time (as does everyone im sure) for it to go wrong now. Thanks Kev

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Just to check, how big is the tank, and what model filter do you have?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Regular polyester fiber that you can buy at a craft store is a great polisher. Also, for $11 you can get a 100ml bag of Purigen to throw in your canister, stuff works like magic.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Purigen and poly-fil (walmart sells it in the craft department in big bags) are what most people recommend. Poly-fil is the poor-man's version of the eheim white filter pad.

However, as Kevmo pointed out, thats just to stretch the quality of the water to the max. If you have really cloudy water its probably due to another reason. Wait for it to settle and then you'll know if its filter-related or not. The eheim you have should make the water very clear. The purigen and/or poly-fil would probably make it crystal clear.

Don't hesitate to ask questions - its what the forums are for in large part. Also you have very little to lose in doing so.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

55g running eheim 2026 and fluval 205.
thanks
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
How often are you cleaning and how good do you clean? You can get cloudy water from over cleaning, plant debris, over feeding, or things that rarely get cleaned. A UV sterilizer is a good one that gets over looked (here) and never gets cleaned, so when I clean my canisters it speeds up the flow and will kick out a ton of bits from the UV sterilzer. Intake and exhaust for filters is another thing that can cause bits to fly but you should not clean too often. I use a software program to keep track of my cleaning and it allows me to set up a schedule for cleaning filters, water changes, ferts, and even replacing light bulbs, plus you can enter all of your fish and plants and get a good look at your load, my fish load is 0.39 inches per gallon now how many people can answer that. Currently I am using a free demo but want to buy a copy but the site is having issues with the payments but I have used it for years and this will be my second copy http://www.aquarix.de/en/ it's great software for over or under cleaners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eser21 View Post
Eheim fine filter pad and fluval water polishing pads are pretty expensive bearing in mind how often they need changing. Is there a cheaper domestic option that can be cut to fit??
Two options.
Scotch Brite makes multiple coarseness pads, but thin. They would typically be sold by places that sell furniture stripping supplies.

Any janitorial supply shop sells the round pads for floor buffers and waxing machines. Those pads come in a variety of thicknesses and coarseness. They can be cut to fit.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode