Starting new tank, guidance needed. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Starting new tank, guidance needed.

Ok Ive been lurking and reading on here for hours a day for the last month. Now I need to ask some questions. Im planning on starting a new 60g long tank, (currently have a planted 10g)

I would like some guidance or advice to see if this is a viable idea or if im going in the wrong direction with some things. Strict criticism welcome.

So here is my plan:
-I want to initially start out low tech with no co2, and then add co2 at a later date, and get more high tech.
-I have an rena xp2 Im going to use, and am going to get a hydor inline heater.
-Lighting is one of the things I have been struggling with, I think Im going to go with a catalina 3x54 and suspend it higher above the tank, BUT, while the tank is still low tech Im only going to run 2 bulbs in it (plant grow and 6500k) Then once I get a co2 system, this fixture will allow me to increase light without having to buy another fixture.
-Im planning on using eco-complete as a substrate, anything wrong with this in a low tech set up? Is MTS really the way to go nowadays?
-Is there any other differences to running low and high tech besides co2 and lighting? Do I still have to dose ferts in both?

Well, thats the core of my plan. Once I wrote it out it doesn't seem like much, but it took me weeks of research to get to this point. So many variables in this hobby. If I have over looked something or if something seems that it would not work, please let me know. All ideas and criticism are welcome.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I think your plan sounds fine to me and you could start ferts on the low tech using PPS pro system and when you get your CO2 set up and turn on the third light you can start dosing EI or somethink like that. I can't help with the MTS or the subtrate, I have always used Flourite, but you can take you time and get all of gear before you crank up the CO2 so it sounds good to me. I just got a small digital scale on eBay and now dose with a premixed solution and really prefer this over dry dosing, it seems much easier and everything is already disolved. Good luck with your new set up!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 06:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (17/100%)
For lighting take a look at this Hoppy's thread. The chart nicely tells you how high and strong your light should be to get low/moderate/high light. You will be able to adjust accordingly when you add CO2. Make sure you start with just 6-8 hrs of lighting, increase it to 10 over a couple of weeks as the plants start to grow.

You should still fertilize your low-tech, just much less than a CO2 tank. Take a look at this site for fert info, it's based on Tom Barr's suggestions for a low tech tank. You can speed up your growth (and inhibit algae) with adding excel, but bear in mind that some plants (like vals, anacharis) don't do well with it.

Eco-complete works.

Plant densely and have fast-growing plants to outcompete algae.

Good luck!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
bump

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode