How long would it take an XP3 to be seeded enough to replace an existing canister? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Mog
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
How long would it take an XP3 to be seeded enough to replace an existing canister?

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade/replace the exisisting Fluval canister filter that I have on my 75g. I'm having issues with the Fluval and going to most likely swap it out with an XP3. The tank is moderately planted and fully stocked.

If I add the XP3 to the tank and let them both run, how long should it take for the filter media on the new XP3 to contain enough bacteria, that I can take the Fluval out of the tank and not cause a mini cycle or disrupt the balance of the tank?

I have pre-filter and biomax in two of the Fluval trays and would rather not move them to the new XP3. Again, just don't want to chance risking a mini cycle and killing off the stock.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Interesting question Mog. I know you said you didn't want to but if it were me I would just move the bio filter media to the new XP3 and take the old filter off line immediately.

As far as running the new, unseeded filter in parallel and then later removing the Fluval, it's guesswork. Probably depends on fish load, plant mass, etc. I'd probably run them both for a week. You could also treat with a bio-culture starter, like SeaChem Stability, when you turn off the old filter if you believe in that stuff.

When I root I root for the Timbers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmmm, tough call. There's not only the issue of time, but also the issue of whether enough bacteria will grow on the new filter now that the bioload is being spread so widely across two different filters.

Personally I'd run them concurrently for a month and be safe.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
I'd give it 2-3 weeks if I was going to run both of them, but I would probably pull one out completely and just replace the media. If you wanted to save the media for something else, I'd start with 2/3 of the old media in the new filter and switch another out every 7-10 days.

Another option is thoroughly rinse all the old media in enough water to fill the new canister, and then pour all that water directly into the new canister. Doing this poses some risk of an ammonia spike, but IMO not a huge one. Remember, much of the beneficial bacteria resides in the tank itself in addition to the canister.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Just move over the existing biomedia and wait zero days.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Algae Grower

Why make things more difficult than they need to be, just move over the media into the new canister and be done with it. There will be no mini cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
I have pre-filter and biomax in two of the Fluval trays and would rather not move them to the new XP3. Again, just don't want to chance risking a mini cycle and killing off the stock.

Thanks
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Mog
Planted Member

The main reason is that I have a friend who is setting up a new tank and I was going to give him the filter as is, so he could drop it in and have a cycled tank. It's going to be a few weeks before he's ready for a filter, so wanted to find out if 3 weeks or so of them running in parallel would be enough time.

I'm trying to help a friend out, but don't want to affect the stability of my tank in the process
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Swap out a portion of the media. I'd think 3 weeks running side by side would be ok.

With your old filter on a new tank the new tank might still be at risk for a small cycle. A lot of the biological filtration is happening on every surface in a mature tank.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think Salty has a good point.

That should work about as well as you could hope for without swapping the entire media out.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/93%)
Ive done this in the past and have had no problems running the new filter for around a week before taking the old one off.

You could also add some Seachem stability or something like that to the tank to help seed the new filter faster.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Mog
Planted Member

I'm no rush and don't want to use any chemicals/bacteria to help stabilize it; especially after my fishless cycle which went very well I'll keep the old filter going for a few weeks before I remove it. Unless I end up just moving all the media over to the new.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode