new tank questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
new tank questions

I'm just getting back into aquaria after about 5 years off. I found a really good deal on a ~29g cube shaped tank/stand combo from craigslist. Id like to keep costs as low as possible as ill be starting grad school soon. Im going to paint the back of it black tomorrow.

The tank is approximately 18" wide and will be about 18" deep after I add substrate. I got an 18" 15W plant light with a crappy reflector with the tank :/ Im thinking ill probably need to upgrade. I like the strip lights that either hang from fixtures or have the little legs that stand on the edge of the tank. What are some cheap options I could look at?

I would also like to get a cheap canister filter. I like them because they are quiet and clean looking. Suggestions?

Id like to scout for some rocks in the wild.. Any tips? I also really want to use black sand, but ive read its not good for plants. Thoughts?

How can I make this work as a planted tank while avoiding algae? I would like to avoid ferts and co2. I cant justify spending $400 on co2 at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
[QUOTE=WelcomeBack;1380348]
The tank is approximately 18" wide and will be about 18" deep after I add substrate. I got an 18" 15W plant light with a crappy reflector with the tank :/ Im thinking ill probably need to upgrade. I like the strip lights that either hang from fixtures or have the little legs that stand on the edge of the tank. What are some cheap options I could look at?

Can't help alot with this one.

I would also like to get a cheap canister filter. I like them because they are quiet and clean looking. Suggestions?

I have a thread basically asking this question in the equipment section. You can read the feedback I got there. The primary suggestion was the SunSun/Perfecto.

Id like to scout for some rocks in the wild.. Any tips? I also really want to use black sand, but ive read its not good for plants. Thoughts?

This part of setting up a tank is one of my favorites. Go to trails that follow streams and rivers. Look around stormwater retention basins. Depends on the kind of rock you want where would be best to look. Personally I like quartz, which where I live is usually found around streams. I can get granite around culverts and stormwater ponds, most rip rap is granite. If I go the mountains about an hour from me I have alot more choices.

As far as preparing them, all I did was scrub them with a toothbrush and wash them off with a garden hose. I only used water, no soap. Then I took some pots and brought water to a boil and poured the boiling water over them rocks as they sat in the sink. Some people will use a bleach/water mix and rinse several times others will boil the rock actually in the pot.

How can I make this work as a planted tank while avoiding algae? I would like to avoid ferts and co2. I cant justify spending $400 on co2 at the moment.

The keys to avoiding algae is to plant heavily. Have the right amount of light and have it on for the right amount of time. Be careful not to overfeed the fish. Its all about finding the balance of all those things that is right for your tank. You can get algae eating fish/snails/shrimp that can combat algae if it becomes an issue.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode