Where do you guys...? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)
Where do you guys...?

buy your substrate (eco complete), I'm planning on buying 6 bags and I need a decent website to buy from. I checked all my LFS & even petco/petsmart and nothing..

any of you have a secret spot? lol thanks.

Last edited by oscarsx; 05-06-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 01:13 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
For larger tanks, folks tend to go with pool filter sand. So, your local pool store. If you want to order something specific online, I'd find a place with flat rate shipping (and no "heavy stuff" fee). http://www.aquariumplants.com/Default.asp and http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/ both fit the bill, though PetSmart generally carries regular flourite and PetCo *I think* carries EcoComplete. If you want either of those, I'd check in with the local stores to avoid shipping fees and see if they're getting any in soon. Or maybe they can special order it for you.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 02:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
http://www.riograndeco.com/locations.aspx thats mine if u have a building material shop near u see what they have

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I buy mine from my Local Petsmart or Local fish store (Northside Aquatics)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:02 AM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
Bonsai supply stores sells a big bag of Akadama for about 30 bucks.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Discus freak

I'm actually considering buying some pool filter sand... I'm doing some research on that now... still reading some more tho, any inputs on that?

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
make your self some MTS (mineralized top soil) its cheap / almost free, and easy to do.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
If I could find some nice coarse sand I would try out the mineralized top soil but I use Schultz's Aquatic Soil that has some too large gravel mixed in and have no plans to ever pay more money. It is very light weight so a little goes a long time but on the other hand that does make it more difficult to plant in and forget about it staying in any kind of slope on its own. You get one color and it isn't as pretty as some either.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
PetCo carries EcoComplete and our local PetSmart here carries it as well. I have also been to PetCo's that carry Activ Flora which I have had really good results with. I had less trouble setting up my Activ Flora tank than I did my Eco Complete tank. It kicked up much less stuff and clouded the water less and what it did cloud was settled in a short period of time where my EC tanks took a lot of effort i.e. partial water changes, filter floss and other extra stuff I prefer not to have gone though. Their 'minimal' rinsing claim I am going to raise the B.S. flag on. This is just my experience with it on two tanks.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Mog
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
If you're interested in Eco Complete, I purchased 8 bags (160 lbs worth) from Petco. They have the best price at $16.99 and for some reason, it doesn't fall into the "heavy shipping" category. So if you buy 6 bags, it's shipped free (over $50).

That was the best price I could find.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Discus freak

I was on Petco's website last night and the are currently out of stock.. that sucks, I'm definitely going with pool filter sand for my 90 gallon, seems a lot cheaper and I kinda like the way it looks.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One solution...worth a shot:

Join SCAPE (southern california planted enthusiasts). They do group buys that often make things very affordable. I know victorville area isn't exactly close to LA (I'm in the East San Gabriel Valley) but if you're buying enough in quantity, driving to pick up a good deal would be worth it.

All you would have to do is join their forums (many memebers here are SCAPE members) and post in the group buy section. Worth a shot!

And yes, Eco-complete will be quite expensive for a 90G!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Big Als has really good prices but I don't know if they carry it or about the shipping. I just bought 2 Eheim impellers and saved about $18 and shipping was free after $75, also that pet place had been giving $10, 15, & 25 bucks off on orders of $75, 100, 125, and that always helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosag View Post

Join SCAPE (southern california planted enthusiasts). They do group buys that often make things very affordable. I know victorville area isn't exactly close to LA (I'm in the East San Gabriel Valley) but if you're buying enough in quantity, driving to pick up a good deal would be worth it.

All you would have to do is join their forums (many memebers here are SCAPE members) and post in the group buy section. Worth a shot!

I was going to suggest joining SCAPE too, but i got busy at work. I wasn't sure if he was already a member, i know we have a couple newer people in the High Desert.

If you are going with pool sand make sure to check with a local Leslie's pool supply in the area.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Discus freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosag View Post

I actually been signed up to that webite for about a month already.. It has not yet been activated, kinda sucks cause It's seems like a good opportunity for me to pick up some stuff for my set ups.

Do you happen to know if any mods are on this website?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode