Moving plants cross-country - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Moving plants cross-country

I'm moving next week from South Carolina out to Seattle WA. I'll be a total of about 9-10 days from taking down my tank to setting it up again, so I need to have a good plan for how my plants will survive. We're traveling by car, with the fish in a bucket with battery-powered sponge filter (if anybody has any good ideas for anchoring the filter, I'd be interested in hearing them. Can't use any adhesive that needs to air dry though, since the sponge itself can't be allowed to dry out).

The plants are mostly high light US natives - some Rotalla, some Ceratophyllum (hornwort), some grasses, a couple vals and an Amazon sword.

Current plan is just to put them in a transparent container of water and try to let them get as much light as I can. I considered also sealing it up with excess CO2 (I have a tank I'll be needing to empty anyway to load the movers) but not sure if that would help or hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
My only suggestion would be to take your gear and get new flora and fauna when you get settled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No, I'm particularly attached to these. With rare exception I only keep native species that I collect myself. I'd like to have these particularly, as they are much more suited to indoor aquarium life than the species I'm likely to find in Washington, which will tend to be adapted to cold water, real winters and in many cases high flow. The Rotalla especially there isn't much substitute for out there. I know it's commercially available, but it just isn't the same.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
you could just put all the plants in a bucket of fish tank water and try to make sure they get sun when in the car.

9-10 days is a really long time.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
do you have any local friends (where you live now) that could hold on to your plants for now, and then ship them to you when you are settled?

sealing the tank off with co2 wont do you any good unless you have it in full sunlight.

sounds like youalready have the move of the fish squared away but i just wanted to make sure that you already have the sponge filter running in your tank now so that it gets enough bio bacteria for the fish when you make the trip.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The sponge filter is a year old, which is why I mentioned not using a dry-curing sealant such as silicone to anchor it to the bucket. I still would appreciate any ideas on how to keep the filter from moving around and potentially crushing fish.

I don't have any friends here that I think have the means to care for the plants any better than I could in the car. I'd either have to leave them in breather bags ready for shipment, or at best in a glass jar or something. The only person I know who keeps fish has only a salt setup. That would have been an optimal solution though.

I may be able to keep the container in a fair amount of sunlight (probably UV-shielded somewhat by the car windows). I'm not sure though if the day cycle will produce enough oxygen to get them through the night. Any idea?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode