What am i missing? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
What am i missing?

I like the canister filters that many PT members here use. They seem like sleek silent out of sight filters that have large potential for polishing the water. Most folks here seem to have one or even two on their aquarium!

That's fine and all but what i don't get is why all this filtration when the tank is fully planted. Isn't the filter/s competing with the plants for the nutrients in the water column?

I currently have a hydro sponge II filter run w/ an airstone on my 46 gal. and that's keeping my water crystal clear. This also competes for nutrients but have it until my plants get more established.

I'm tempted to get a canister though i was thinking of the eheim 2211 for minimal filtration and competition w/ the plants.

I'm also considering no filtration and just relying on the plants once they get established and big enough - given a smaller bioload. Perhaps some circulation...

maybe i'm beating an old thread here but some clarity on the use of canisters on a planted tank would help.

thanks,
kirk

It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. MW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Why would you think that a filter competes with plants for nutrients?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

isn't that what biological filtration is? breaking down stuff in the water to it's most basic form which would include stuff the plants use for food?

It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. MW

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I can tell you why I prefer canister filters:

1. They keep all of the filtration outside of the aquarium.
2. They move a lot of water.
3. They are generally very customizable as far as media.
4. They are perfect for adding accessories like inline heaters and CO2 reactors due to the fact that they use hoses for input and output.

In a planted tank, moving a lot of water is what is most important to me. Mechanical filtraton is next.

Biological filtration is great too, but less mandatory in a heavily planted tank.

Biological filtration does not remove nutrients from the water. It just converts, via biological processes, nitrogen compounds into less energetic compounds. Plants can use any nitrogen found along this whole chain. Granted, ammonia is easier to build proteins from than nitrate, but it is also far more toxic to any fauna you might have living in the tank.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I feel I should clarify that biological filtration only has a real impact on amines. Other nutrients aren't really affected in any meaningful way. (Not as far as bioavailability to plants is concerned in any case.). Bacteria may consume some phosphorous, etc. into their tissues, but the uptake is so small that it doesn't affect water chemistry in an aquarium.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

oh, ok well that makes some sense. I was thinking that the filter might remove any available nutrients. Chemistry has never been my strong point...

I can see why people like canisters. Get's alot of stuff out of the tank while providing circulation, mech. filtration and removal of toxic ammonia.

Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode