I can't grow my sword plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face I can't grow my sword plants

Hi,I have a 55 gallon planted tank with 2 bubbles per second of co2,plant substrate that is iron rich,iron supplement & flourish plant food,iron rich plant tabs once a month,ph is about 7.5,water is hard,low nitrates,& 4 watts of full spectrum light per gallon.I do water changes about twice a month.I love all kinds of echinodorus sword plants but can only just keep them alive.When the leaves start getting tall they die.The leaves on my swords are about 3 inches tall & they are supposed to get much bigger.I will admit that sometimes I slack off giving co2 & iron supplements,& sometimes not regularly scooping the nasty duckweed off the surface which blocks the light.When I'm doing everything the right way[so I think]the swords are still stunted.I add plant the Flourish & liquid iron about once or twice a week.I'll appreciate any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sword plants are often listed as low light, but they really do like light. Sounds like you're doing DIY CO2 on a 55 gallon aquarium?

It's not impossible, but tough to pull off. I'd say 2 bps is likely not anywhere near the amount of CO2 your tank wants.

Growing plants is not difficult. It's more or less the same with almost every plan. Give light, carbon, and NPK with micros, and everything will grow.

Sword plants are easy to grow, but they need the aforementioned conditions. Don't get so hung up on iron. Plants need it, but nitrogen (low nitrates can be an issue), potassium (especially important), and phosphorous are much more important.

It depends what kind of lighting you have, but if it's T5HO lighting at 4wpg, that's enough light to grow sunburns. With that amount of light, nutrients become extra important, and Flourish won't be able to provide what is needed at the recommended dose.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question I can't grow my sword plants

I use a 5 pound canister for my co2,it's not diy.2 bubbles a second is not enough?How much is needed?My lighting is compact flourescent full spectrum.What kind of supplement do you think would work if not flourish?I forgot to say I also supplement with nitrogen,phosphorus,& potasium that's by Flourish.Thanks

Tags
sword

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode