Eheim 2213 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eheim 2213

Evening all. Quick question regarding the Eheim 2213 Impeller shaft, which I have managed to snap during maintenance... I know it's easily replaced, but am wondering if anyone can tell me what damage, if any, will occur if I run the filter with the 1/2 shaft until I can replace it?

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Probably damage the magnet body and scrape the magnet wall. I wouldnt do that.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahura-sama View Post
Probably damage the magnet body and scrape the magnet wall. I wouldnt do that.
Figured, cheers... I can't get a replacement part until tomorrow at the earliest, anyone have any suggestions on keeping the beneficial bacteria in the filter alive until then, maybe an airline with an airstone running to the bottom of it?

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Algae Grower

You can probably cut a section of coat-hanger wire and use that for a couple of days. Buy the whole replacement shaft and impeller... it doesn't cost much more and it's nice to have a spare impeller in case you break one. bigalsonline carries the kit:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Plu...tml?tc=default
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
You can probably cut a section of coat-hanger wire and use that for a couple of days. Buy the whole replacement shaft and impeller... it doesn't cost much more and it's nice to have a spare impeller in case you break one. bigalsonline carries the kit:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/Fish_Plu...tml?tc=default

Thanks for the link, I've found a couple of places in the UK that do it, will probably be able to pick one up locally tomorrow. Good tip on the whole kit, I might get the kit plus an impeller. As you say, can't hurt to have spares...

I'll go take a look at coathangers, great idea! Hope we have some wire ones... For now I've rigged an airline in through the filter intake pipe so air is pumping through the filter, it's bubbling away in a bucket. I have a sponge filter in the tank for now... Should be fine for 24hrs and I'll do a large water change once it's replaced.

Cheers for the tips! Will update if I manage to fix it.

James

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The section of coathanger appears to be working... Same size diameter bar, good call! It's rather noisy at the moment though, am worried it might be causing some damage to it. Thoughts?

James

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Algae Grower

Didn't notice you were in the UK. My other hobby is RC airplanes, and I salvage all kinds of junk to scratch-build my own planes. If you have an old broken umbrella (because it rains there all the time, right???), you'll often find that fiberglass rods are used for the ribs. They make great pushrods or struts for planes, but it might also work for your impeller shaft. Be careful cutting fiberglass rod - it will splinter if you try to use scissors or side-cutters. Use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel instead... and wear eye protection.

The impeller itself might be wallowed out, where the shaft goes through. This is often how the shaft gets broken to begin with, is by a worn out impeller that rattles around. You might cut a piece of inkpen tube to make a bushing for the impeller if it is worn out. Temporary fix, but it should get you through the night.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cheers again warhead, it's quieter now, I realised after I posted that a lot of the noise was just air bubbles. I'll check around for other options. The impeller should be fine, the filter is only a couple of months old. It was my own fault that the rod got broken... distracted, clumsy, etc. I'll get the kit and replace the lot if it looks like there's any wear to the impeller tomorrow. The bushing look fine but I'll definately replace those as the metal probably has sharp edges and will cause some damage.

RC airplanes eh? Nice one, I think I have enough hobbies at the moment though... Must not be temtped!

James

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode