baby snail - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
baby snail

so basically i bought 2 mystery snail from petsmart but they could not adapt to my tank and unfortunately shriveled and died. fast forward 2 weeks later i see this new critter in my tank. i don't know if this little guy is the byproduct of those mystery snail. can someone help me identify what type of snail this is and if it's good for my tank?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110501_191613.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	30530  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
I can't tell what type it is. Can you get a close up of it?... But if it's eating the algae, it's a keeper!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by comet View Post
I can't tell what type it is. Can you get a close up of it?... But if it's eating the algae, it's a keeper!
that's for sure, and why i picked up the snails in the first place. i replaced the dead snails with a oto catfish this past week and the little guy literally cleaned off 1/2 of my diatom infested tank! at this rate i may be running out of algae for this little guy to eat.

as far as the snail goes, i was looking for the little one at the same spot i found it earlier but could not find it. i was almost about to give up only to find it almost pressed to the glass! so here is hopefully a better shot of it. the snail is basically clear right now so it's hard to see but this is the best shot i can get of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110501_223025.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	30537  

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
All snails are good in my book but I highly doubt that little guy came from a purchased mystery snail unless he was a hitch hiker. See examine the shell of a mystery snail here and observe that each twist in the shell has a flat edge on it. The image you're going to want to look at is mid page. I believe this is your guy. However, no worries common pond snails also eat dead plant matter, left over fish food, and algae. Be careful though one of these snails can quickly turn into an infestation depending on availability of food. And depending on your idea of an infestation....

Cheers,
Abe

Last edited by Abrium; 05-02-2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: added thought

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode