Flubendazole dosing level? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Flubendazole dosing level?

What is the proper dosing of Flubendazole for the water column? I have a nasty camallanus infestation.
Thanks, any assistance with the dosing calc and the overall routine would be much appreciated!!

A forum search found some dosing information, but not really clear (to me, at any rate) on how often to administer or how large a water change between dosing. Advice/recommendations welcome. Any danger to my plants? Also - where does one get Flubendazole quickly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Velvet and ick are also covered by a flu treatment Doc sells as little or as much as you want.
http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ItemsForSale.html
Article links;
http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/FlubendazoleTreatment.pdf
http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/FlubendazoleArticle.pdf

Percentage check for dosing amounts Flu is sold @ 5% and 10% that I've seen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, I was hoping to find some locally, but if that fails, I'll certainly get some ordered.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
http://www.planetinverts.com/killing...and_hydra.html

you can get it at either petsmart or petco.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Got some at Petsmart. On a per-dose basis, the single dose cost works out to about $2. Uprooted my stem plants to facilitate the vacuuming. Didn't really like their layout anyway! Left the swords alone. Did a very large water change (90%) and gravel vac. Refilled the tank and added 1g of the 22.2% Flubendazole. Hope it works! I'll do another water change and treatment on Wed and perhaps a 3rd in a few weeks if it works.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Fenbendazole and Flubendazole are completely different!
sewingalot confused fen for flu and killed a bunch of fish.
Fen is mostly mixed with foods and flu is water column dosed is my understanding.

2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Fenbendazole and Flubendazole are completely different!
sewingalot confused fen for flu and killed a bunch of fish.
Fen is mostly mixed with foods and flu is water column dosed is my understanding.
Yes, that's right!!!! They are totally different meds. Adding Fenbendazole directly to the water has killed a lot of fish for a lot of people. It needs to be added to food. Flubendazole can be added to the water, but needs to be mixed with Vodka as it isn't soluble in water.

Here's some dosing info:

Quote:
I just want to make a couple points regarding flubenadazole and its growing successful use.

The post below, made in August 2010, quotes what is now outdated information regarding dosage and was actually written by a Dr. in Missouri that can supply 10% Flubendazole for aquarium use. That article was written first for 5% Flu powder and we have since learned that even that dosage was twice the required amount. All the other info. in that article (except dosage) is still pertinent and for that reason is still on the seller's website. The current recommended dosage for 10% powder is
1/8Tsp (US) per 10gal.

I frequently come to SD, not only because I have raised Discus in the past and will in the future, but my body of knowledge for Angelfish (and fishkeeping generally) is enhanced by the knowledge shared on this forum. Perhaps the knowledge can flow both ways.

Many breeders of Angelfish have increasingly used Flubenadazole with good success when treating for internal and external parasite including flukes, tapeworms, etc. with few adverse effects. The most common adverse effect is shedding of slime coat caused by overdose and/or insufficient mixing into solution with tank water. To my knowledge no head or tail standing has been reported in Angelfish. The drug also has benefits in that it does not harm the biological filter.

I have used on breeding Angels with no adverse effect upon spawning, in fact spawning generally increases. I regularly use as a preventative on nickel to quarter size juvenile Angels to assure they are "clean" prior to sale, with excellent results.

I have found a few important keys to safely and effectively administer Flubendazole:

1) mix 4 parts powder with 1 part Vodka or Scotch (I'm serious) and perhaps a ml (or two) of tank water to make a slurry. The spirits act as a solvent and will greatly enhance the drug's ability to go into solution with the tank water;

2) add the slurry very gradually to the tank water, perhaps 1/2ml at a time. What you're looking for is to gradually create the resultant "fog" in the tank. Adding rapidly, or when not mixed well, is when burns occur and the slime coat sheds - especially when a curious fish swims into a heavy dose. The initial fog created once the full dose is in will dissipate over several hours - at 12 hours the water is only slightly hazy; &

3) The treatment only needs to be administered for 72hrs.. Then a water change should be done and 48hrs observation. If heavy fluke infestation or hexamita, additional treatments may be required. If caught early, most parasites are cleared after 72hrs with tapeworms and some others obviously expelled after 24 hrs.

Note: Flubendazole is absorbed into the tissues, so when properly put into solution (as noted in 1 and 2) it can be more effective without ill effects. Please let me know if the above helps to successfully treat our treasured Discus

~ Jose

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well crud, to put it politely. I have got to read the labels more carefully. So far, no dead fish - will do massive water change ASAP when I get home.

Lots of mixed and incorrect info out there, thanks for clearing up my confusion. Assuming my fish survive, I have some other med coming in the mail. I really wish meds were less similarly named, darned chemists and their need for precision....
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My first post included links to Docs website and a good follow up was posted.
Powder mixed with just enough vodka to make a slurry is all thats needed.
Then I add this to a cup of near boiling water, mix, cool to warm by doubling the volume adding water from the tank to be treated then add it to the tank.

Prep before treatment is as nearly complete a water change as I can get. I mean the fish are belly dragging the gravel. I treat for 72hrs and drain the tank again.

After waiting a week I do it again on entry quarantines. My main tanks get a single treatment twice a year right now. Posted a bunch in the last year or so on the need to quarantine all incoming stuff.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

First thanks to all for the post(s) about me using the wrong med! No dead fish as of yet. Another 90+% water change, no apparent ill effects from using fen. I read wkndracer's posts re:quarantine procedures and am certainly going to start implementing.

This screw-up on my part happened because 1) I didn't read the label as carefully as I should have, 2) Someone posted incorrect info (was not on this forum) and I didn't read the package label carefully and 3) I was in a rush and [see #1 again]. I have some Levamisole in hand and I'll start dosing with that since I have it.

It sounds like the Flubendazole may be a better treatment option - does it actually kill versus just paralyzing like the Levamisole? How is it on inverts?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Flu kills what it effects and sewingalot has used it on a tank with shrimp so would know her dosing levels, I use it for fish only.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Tried to contact the folks at http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/ItemsForSale.html
to double-check shipping prices and confirm the product availability but never got a response...
Using Levamisole HCL, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything, even to my pond snails.
Any other options on getting hold of some flubenadazole? Is that something a vet can get?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Check with the membership over at simplydiscus.com was the reply from the only other member I know that had made a domestic purchase from anybody other than Doc. Charles may be at work or out of town. I've always received prompt replies to contact. Sure you got the message through?

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Would it be possible to dissolve Flubendazole in 95% drugstore ethyl alcohol? It's about 5% of the cost of vodka.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:37 AM

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
Would it be possible to dissolve Flubendazole in 95% drugstore ethyl alcohol? It's about 5% of the cost of vodka.
The 95% ethanol is most likely denatured alcohol. I would advise against using denatured alcohol in your aquarium.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode