pics of merged canisters.. :] - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
pics of merged canisters.. :]

So, I figured I'd build something this weekend. My cat helped:

I had two very different canister filters, an XP1 that was a nice sedate biological filter, and a Mangum 350 that seems to specialize in screaming fast water polishing.

"Hell," I said to my cat, "Why not put them together? I'd have a fast flowing polisher with the biologicals sipping away at the the same flow. I can even pipe it through my UV filter standing on it's head, and have the CO2 line feed direct into the magnum!"

The cat did not reply.

Here's what I ended up with.

Yup. works. I was iffy about merging the inlets and outlets of two canisters with different flowrates, but it seems to be working fine.

Now, I just need to rethink a better spraybar.

I'll go rummage through the DIY section..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
From reading on here I was under the impression that since the two filters have different flow rates one will always be working much harder and will eventually fail. If it works for you though I say keep doing it!

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:57 AM
GDP
Banned

PTrader: (5/100%)
Thats ironic I was JUST thinking about something like this. However I was trying to figure out a way to filter 6 10g tanks from the same source. I might have to do something like this, however with the same type of filters.

Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I thought about that a bit..

i would be certain that it would be a rough thing to do to the 'weaker' filter if you only shared an inlet, or an outlet between the two..

If both the upstream and downstream sides are shared, I am under the impression that the negative force from the upstream and the positive pressure from the downstream may end up negating one another.

The rena is good about making a lot of racket when it's about to run on a dry impeller, so If I get a failed upstream o-ring, it'll gurgle a good bit before I smoke the rotor.

And well, the magnum is pretty much a blender. ;]

Hell, I've had that rena for 8 years, if this doesn't hurt it, nothing could!

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:06 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
You know you can hook the more powerful one up to pull water through the weak one (just unplug the weak one) it's called chaining them, and lots of people in japan and taiwan do this. You just hook up the weak filters intake to the tank, and the weak filters output into the strong filter, then put the strong filters output into the tank, plug the strong filter in, and leave the small filter unplugged. It reduces the flow, but lets you have twice the filtration media.

For even more media, you can use a large sponge filter as the intake in the tank.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I don't know. That cat doesn't look like it's heart is really into the project to me.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
MEWWW! Adorable cat!

Nice filtration thing, btw. Looks complex.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I do notice that your using hose barbs and clear PVC tubing on your connections to and from your UV unit, and from the tank to the input side.

Have you considered the use of flexible PVC pipe (also known as spaflex) and unions on those parts of the system?

The big advantages are that there are not the reductions in pipe size and flow that you get with hose barbs. It also will be easier to maintain, since inside the pipe, it's dark, so no algae build up. Since it's pipe there is also no risk of kinking. You'll also find the unions come apart a lot faster for service.

Flexible PVC pipe glues up just like regular rigid PVC pipe, so the installation isn't bad at all.

Another thing you might consider is using valves to create a bypass around the UV unit, so you can remove it for cleaning and service.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
I do notice that your using hose barbs and clear PVC tubing on your connections to and from your UV unit, and from the tank to the input side.

Have you considered the use of flexible PVC pipe (also known as spaflex) and unions on those parts of the system?

The big advantages are that there are not the reductions in pipe size and flow that you get with hose barbs. It also will be easier to maintain, since inside the pipe, it's dark, so no algae build up. Since it's pipe there is also no risk of kinking. You'll also find the unions come apart a lot faster for service.

Flexible PVC pipe glues up just like regular rigid PVC pipe, so the installation isn't bad at all.

Another thing you might consider is using valves to create a bypass around the UV unit, so you can remove it for cleaning and service.

Superb suggestions!

I like the clear, as it can be hard to see where the air is when the system is airlocked. Chasing down a slug of air is complicated with this rig. But fun!

Plus, the clear looks more mad scientist at night, with the UV lighting up the tubes.

I have the Rena running 24/7, the slow flow keeps co2 bubbles from getting into the tank.. when the lights go off, the magnum kicks on, flushes out the UV filter's load of CO2 in a big BLURRRP! and gets to tank swirling to flush out the co2 in the tank's water column.

Yeah, next time I'll add valves and a threaded hose attachment for draining/filling. Perhaps some check valves, too..

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
I don't know. That cat doesn't look like it's heart is really into the project to me.
You missed the part where he drew up the plans.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
You know you can hook the more powerful one up to pull water through the weak one (just unplug the weak one) it's called chaining them, and lots of people in japan and taiwan do this. You just hook up the weak filters intake to the tank, and the weak filters output into the strong filter, then put the strong filters output into the tank, plug the strong filter in, and leave the small filter unplugged. It reduces the flow, but lets you have twice the filtration media.

For even more media, you can use a large sponge filter as the intake in the tank.

Oh my god, That is just brilliant. Do you think i could do this with say... two filters of the same size or does it definitely have to be a larger, more powerful filter and a smaller one? I ask because I have two XP3 filters and I only use one because to be honest I am completely filling up two power strips with all of the filtration, lights, co2, and my hydras and I don't wanna pop on the load. If I could daisy chain these badboys and double my biological that would be fantastic!

Anyone done this w/ like sized canisters?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 11:50 AM
GDP
Banned

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrium View Post
Oh my god, That is just brilliant. Do you think i could do this with say... two filters of the same size or does it definitely have to be a larger, more powerful filter and a smaller one? I ask because I have two XP3 filters and I only use one because to be honest I am completely filling up two power strips with all of the filtration, lights, co2, and my hydras and I don't wanna pop on the load. If I could daisy chain these badboys and double my biological that would be fantastic!

Anyone done this w/ like sized canisters?
Ive read of it being done before. However Im not 100% sure but I think both were on and running.

Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Never listen to a cat!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogdude View Post
Never listen to a cat!
Probably a good idea. Last week he was all "KILL YOUR LANDLORD!"

what a silly kitty.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
I would be afraid of creating a suction in between the out of the first and the intake of the second. Technically, the specifications of both of mine should be exactly the same but I would be afraid of the nuances in between each system. I don't think that they would last that long and when you think about it there are other issues like:

You would be filtering half the water twice as much because of a single I/O.

You wouldn't be taking advantage of twice the flow.

At a glance the idea sounds great and for me I think this would work perfectly for say a 55gal but if you have a higher volume I don't think its a good idea.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode