Instant Quarantine Tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Instant Quarantine Tank?

So today my local LFS is having a big sale. Several of their fish are on sale, and I have been wanting to get some otos and possibly some tetras for my 55 gallon tank. (The sale is today only)

I want to quarantine the new fish. I have an empty 10 gallon tank that I cleaned and I have a cleaned, not currently in use Aquaclear 20, a heater, pvc piping, and some ornaments. So basically, I could set up a tank now.

Would a filter with media from the main tank be enough to cycle the 10 gallon and have it ready for otos and possibly some tetras? Do the otos need algae in the tank? (I can blanch zucinni and/or add algae wafers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I drain my quarantine between uses. I change 50-75% of the water daily while it is in use. I don't worry about cycling since I tear it down after quarantine anyway. I still wouldn't suggest loading it up too heavily though. You want the ammonia levels to stay below stress levels in between WC.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll get about 6 otos and some algae wafers to feed them... The store I will get them from is pretty good about having nice, healthy tanks... Maybe I can get by with a shortened quarantine period...

I must resist the urge to throw them in my main tank :P

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (206/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd
I just keep extra media in my HOB/canister/sumps to have a cycle and add some floating fast growing plants. Goess really well (even in the bulk I deal with)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just a heads up. I've never been able to get an otto to eat an algae wafer.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
You may want to test your tap water after you have treated it with your dechlorinator and make sure it's removing the ammonia from your water.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
Just a heads up. I've never been able to get an otto to eat an algae wafer.
Hmmm... This may be a problem then.... I have my main tank that is full of algae, but there aren't reall any algae ridden plants that I can place in the bare bottom quarantine tank... Hmmm.

Maybe they will eat them if they are in a sterile environment? It seems like they aren't eating the ones I put in there (I got them about 3-4 hours ago), but they may just be stressed to be in a new tank.

Will zucchini provide enough nutrients if it is all that I feed them for 2-3 weeks? Or should I try other veggies... Also, how do you keep your veggies down?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixella View Post
You may want to test your tap water after you have treated it with your dechlorinator and make sure it's removing the ammonia from your water.
I'm using Prime, so my water should be fine if it is working properly...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use 5x recommended amount of Prime and I still get a .50 ppm ammonia reading in my tap water.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Try putting a towel or something big enough around the tank glass. When I feed my Oto he won't eat the wafer unless he is in total darkness. ( stayed up a while after it was pitch black and saw him eating it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamas View Post
Hmmm... This may be a problem then.... I have my main tank that is full of algae, but there aren't reall any algae ridden plants that I can place in the bare bottom quarantine tank... Hmmm.

Maybe they will eat them if they are in a sterile environment? It seems like they aren't eating the ones I put in there (I got them about 3-4 hours ago), but they may just be stressed to be in a new tank.

Will zucchini provide enough nutrients if it is all that I feed them for 2-3 weeks? Or should I try other veggies... Also, how do you keep your veggies down?
I blanch big cabbage and broccoli leaves and use magnets (one inside the tank, one outside the tank) to hold them to the tank walls. It usually takes about 24 hours before they start eating the leaves but once they do they will eat the large leaves until they're gone.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I just thought that I'd chime in that I also use the "put filter media from an established tank in the filter for the QT tank" to help prevent ammonia build up method for QT and it's always worked really well for me too

Also, if you're having trouble getting the otos to eat algae wafers (though i'll go ahead and say that I HAVE had luck with them eating them so I think it depends on the oto) if you have some leaves in the tank with algae on them, you could try cutting the leaves off and tossing them in the tank with the otos, might not be enough food, supplementing with zucchini or other veggies is probably also a good idea, but it's just a thought I had

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Zucchini will usually sink if blanched, but and algae clip is the best way to be sure.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (206/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd
Or if you have any rock or wood in the established tank that you can easily move, the otos can graze on that as well and it will add more established bacteria to your qt without preventing ease of monitoring.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all of the replies. I will definitely be trying several of these techniques. (Off to the grocery store )

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode