Tank Size Discussion for Scaping/Lighting/Etc - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Tank Size Discussion for Scaping/Lighting/Etc

Hello folks,

Just for the future plans I am making in my head in terms of a planted tank, what are recommended and not-recommended sizes? I know that for example 37 vs 38 might have different footprints that make one harder to light and plant, etc. Aquascaping philosophy changes too with the tall-but-relatively-narrow tanks as well from what I have read.

I'm looking for a sub-55 gallon probably (to avoid landlord issues; 3-foot tank and definitely 4-foot is probably my max). I currently am just barely (not even have my toes wet in the hobby) getting into all this and have a 20 G high but already have an eye toward the future when I will have a bigger tank and can expand into a mix of Otos/Shrimp/BN and still have room for tetras and centerpiece fish or two if compatible.

Any pros/cons you've had with various sizes would be great to read, thank you...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
General rule of thumb for planted tanks is having a big footprint and less height to the tank. (i.e. many people prefer a 40breeder to a standard 55g because it offers more depth)

It's very possible to make any tank setup look amazing...you just have to be a little artistic and choose plants wisely.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I know its not 55G but 29G is better than 30G for scaping from what Ive read and heard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2.5G Hex Tank

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsaicin_MFK View Post
It's very possible to make any tank setup look amazing...you just have to be a little artistic and choose plants wisely.
Very true!!! I am working on a 2.5G hex thats 8 inches at the widest and 10 inches high (pretty tall and narrow if you ask me)... I hope I can make look good!!!

2.5G Hex Tank
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
my wife has a 20 long and it is like awesomeness

aside from it being a little small it really is perfection for dimension ratios

she can grow red plants 4 inches from the bottom

Stop Arresting Responsible Adults!

SunSun Pimp #39
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchach View Post
my wife has a 20 long and it is like awesomeness

aside from it being a little small it really is perfection for dimension ratios

she can grow red plants 4 inches from the bottom
And THAT's why I'm looking for a 20L on craigslist.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Algae Grower

The general rule of thumb is 2:1, 2 inches of length to 1 inch of width.
But as Capsaicin_MFK said you can make any tank size work you just have to be willing to think outside the box and pick plants wisely. If you looking for a 3 foot tank i would get a 40 breeder or if your willing to downsize a 20 long simply because they are so readily available. just my .02

My Fluval Edge 6 gallon

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
20L and 40B are great.

As mentioned above, tall and narrow are characteristics to stay away from for planted tanks. Aquascaping with hardscape gets really tough, the lighting is more difficult to get right, and it is a pain when you have to get your hands in the tank.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
The 40B I had was nice but I would go for a 54 breeder if I did it again. A little more height is nice, but it's still deeper (width) than it is tall.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Abrium Send a message via Skype™ to Abrium
Just my 2 cents but since your starting out in the hobby and don't want to spend that much money I would advise going with the 20 long. There is a good foot print that allows you dive in and look at different scaping options and the tank is shallow which allows for wiggle room on the amount of lighting that you're going to need.

I started a few of my friends out with 20 longs. You can walk right out of petsmart with a 20, adequate filtration, floramax/florite substrate, and all chemicals if you wish to keep fish for under 80 bucks and in this hobby that is extremely cheap.

Cheers,
Abe
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Don't get a 55 gallon. I have one. It is a nightmare to scape. You are always wishing you have just a little more depth.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode