Veggies fish like? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Veggies fish like?

Hi everyone,
I have a 55g community tank, started and planted about 2 months ago, and everything is going along just great. The fish are big eaters and I would like to give them more variety than just the staple food and frozen food.

I got some algae clips and I was wondering, what fruits and veggies do they like/will they eat? I tried iceberg lettuce and only the gouramis and goldfish eat it. Thanks so much for any help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

One of the items I use are nori sheets. That's that green looking seaweed sheet used to wrap some types of sushi.

Unless you have fish the require a lot of vegetable matter in their diet, you usually don't need to add too much in the way of vegetables. Take a look at what is in that package of dry fish food.

Some people that really get into feeding fish, usually if they breed them, will also culture their own live foods. White worms, wingless fruit flies, micro worms can easily be done in small containers.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Daphnia are easy to culture also.

Most of the typical varieties of aquarium fish will more or less ignore vegetables.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
This really depends on if you have veggie eating fish or not. I have a few fish that pic at and some that really enjoy veggies. My endler, BN plecos. snails, and shrimp get down on blanched zuchini, green beans, sweet potatoes etc... My betta likes to eat peas lol. You should list the fish types in the tank. If they are mostly meat eaters then they might not show much interest in any veggies.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadawag579 View Post
Hi everyone,
I have a 55g community tank, started and planted about 2 months ago, and everything is going along just great. The fish are big eaters and I would like to give them more variety than just the staple food and frozen food.

I got some algae clips and I was wondering, what fruits and veggies do they like/will they eat? I tried iceberg lettuce and only the gouramis and goldfish eat it. Thanks so much for any help!!!
Iceberg lettuce is pretty much nutritionally worthless to even humans so consider your fish smart

I've had great success with leafy lettuces, spinach, and sweet potato. Other popular choices are zucchini,cucumber, apple... almost anything really.

Sent via Android
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have had some clown fish that loved cucumber and zucchini. One of my plecos was a strawberry fiend. My shrimp will eat anything, so they are not much fun to test stuff on. Watermelon was a mess do NOT try it. Breaks up and gets everywhere. If your tank is past your liking on the basic side I hear there are quite a few fish that like oranges as well. You have to peel them all the way down though. Peas are tend to make good food for most fish species. They are also good at helping get rid of bloat in neons.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you so much everyone! I will try these suggestions
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 10:14 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
My bala shark and Buenos Aires tetras in the 75 gallon will all share 2 large spinach leaves a day or about a 8" square piece of romaine lettuce depending on what we have in the fridge. They eat more of that than they do fish food. Keeps them from eating my plants. My Guppies in my 10 gallon just completely wiped out a hair algae infestation and are actully keeping the bba down to a manageable level. I never knew of Guppies to be good at algae control but they have been helpful.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode