Discussion: 1 big tank or lots of tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Discussion: 1 big tank or lots of tanks

Just curious discussion I was having with a friend of mine, about which we preferred and why.

The closest I have come to multiple tanks was my then 55 at home and 20 at work. Now it is just a 75 planted at the house, which is plenty of work for me while being a very fun and rewarding hobby doesn't eat up more time then I usually feel like giving it.

I have never understood the attraction of having multiple tanks going all at once. One here and one there yes, but more then that, I would think you wouldn't get the same level of appreciation or enjoyment.

Thoughts, reasonings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
If the choice is between 1 big tank and a bunch of smaller tanks, I think 1 big tank is pretty obviously the best choice. Small tanks, no matter how many of them you have, are so limited compared to a single large tank. Plus smaller tanks, especially many of them, require more maintenance and more equipment and therefore have a lot more things that can go wrong at any given time.

But the reason people have many smaller tanks isn't usually due to that simple black or white choice. Usually it's the result of limitations in space, or many people that are renters that aren't allowed to keep, or find it too much of a liability to move, a large tank. And sometimes it's simply because people get addicted to setting up tanks and it's a lot easier to pick up a little tank here and a little tank there and set it up. Most of those people would probably go with a single large tank if they had the foresight to begin with
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I started with a 10, added a 29. My plan is to replace the 10 with a 40 in the future. I like the idea of having 2 medium size tanks.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I saw a nice 150gal 120x60x90cm tank over at PetSmart on sale for $450 that I'd much rather have than my 40 gal tank. Nowhere to put it is my problem.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I keep waiting for someone to say "why, oh why, did I ever get a larger tank?" I expect to never hear that.

But, I wanted to have both a riparium and a regular tank, so one big tank couldn't fill both needs. Thus, I have a 65 and a 45 gallon tank. (And an 8 gallon tank, and a 10 gallon tank, and a 15 gallon tank, but only one of those is set up. For now.....)

Hoppy
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Algae Grower

i have MTS....5 planted tanks and the rest (27 of them) are for my cichlids
lol

i only have 1 big tank. the rest ranges from 20 to 75g
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

I prefer large tanks. IMO it's possible to do a lot more in a large tank, even if the fish your keeping are the same species, but with greater numbers. On the down side, if you have a large tank crash, the clean up job is massive, and a lot of work.

However, many small tanks can also work out well. For example, if you want to breed fish, you need a lot of tanks set up for spawning and grow out. Some species such as the annual killifish don't live too long, so if you always want to have them in your tank, it usually means setting up your own breeding program.

Multiple small tanks also allow you to keep species that could not otherwise be kept together.

The downside I see to many small tanks is that it takes a lot of time and effort to maintain them all at a first class level. It's usually a lot less work to keep large tanks, once you get over the initial set up.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I still need to get a smaller tank for quarantine and hospital purposes.

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
1 big, no question.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like my 75 but I love my fluval edge
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would go with one big tank. The big tank gives you more options as far as stocking goes. It'll also be easier to maintain (Parameters including) because it will be the only tank you have. The only thing I see wrong with a big tank is where your going to put it and if you have the room for it.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Personally the bigger the better for me. However there are numerous concerns when you keep a large tank; initial set up cost, maintenance time and costs & you don't want to ever have to move it. Positive about small tanks is them and their equipment can be very easy to come by (used), your able to keep many fish and plant species and for breeding.

I think its a must however to keep a small tank seperate from the larger one to use for quarantine/grow out.

Obviously it all comes down to what your looking to get out of the hobby. For me I just love to stare at a big well planted tank with lots of happy fish.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (158/99%)
depends on what you are doing. though in almost all cases its bigger the better. really bigger tanks are less work then smaller tanks more stable and just have more options stocking wise.

though if you want to keep things that just not compatible... do breeding or what not there are cases that some smaller ones can be better.

In SoCali? Looking for fish plants equipment? want to learn something about the hobby?

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I like multiple tanks because I can have multiple looks and fish. There are just so many fish to choose from and they can't always live together. Sure I can have. One large tank, but there's no way my puffer could co-exist w/ other fish. Plus multiple tanks is just more fun.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I have 10 tanks running from 6 to 40 gallons. The small ones take nearly as much time to maintain as the larger ones do, and I hate that.

But I like having the small tanks to "sample" things in and I would have larger tanks if I could reach into them and my house was big enough to accommodate them.

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode