1/8" off level - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
1/8" off level

I have a 26 gallon glass bowfront that I just set up today. It is 1/8" off level back to front (water level is higher on the front end). The tank is on a built-in so I cannot shim the stand. Do I need to find somewhere else to put this?

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
you should probably put something under the tank then shim that since u cant shim the stand itself.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 04:40 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Pshaw. 1/8" is nothing. Unless it bothers you aesthetically, don't bother.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 07:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Like Kevmo said, 1/8" is nothing. Most people have some sort of slope going on...especially those of us with carpet.

As far as structure and integrity, you're good. Aesthetically, up to you. If you top it off, I don't see how you'd even notice 1/8" to be honest.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I thought mine was not level but i confirmed it with a level and found out it was the trim that was slightly off

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
you don't even want to know how far out of level my 125g is. would probably terrify a lot of people and have the rest telling me how its gong to critically fail some day because of it.

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Mines about the same back to front an 1/8 inch, it was level before it was filled but after the front must have compressed the carpet more, at 1,200 pounds of water I would rather be a little out of level than take a risk of every area not being supported by adding shims. Unless I could figure a way to shim the 48" front an 1/8 inch and both sides from an 1/8 to nothing in 24", do you see what I mean, I think it's more important to have the whole bottom rim of the tank supported evenly, a shim on each corner or a couple here and there could make unwanted stress points that could damage the tank. Even though your tank is much smaller these tanks hold a lot of weight and pressure from relatively light materials.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks everyone. I was dreading having to find another place to put it so you've made my day.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Algae Grower

I have had 20-25 different tanks set up over the last 15 years from 300g down to 8g and not a single one was level, bases were all fully supported. I never worried about it nor did I see any negative effects from it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Algae Grower

Mine is at least 1/2" off. Whatever you do, don't shim between the tank and stand. The even footprint under the tank is most important. That is what I expected and what was confirmed by my tank manufacturer when I called about my concerns.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
That's a small tank so I don't see a problem.

When I set up my 54g, the floor was so unlevel that it wasn't even possible to shim the stand - it was like 2 inches off! The house is 120 years old so even for a relatively small 54g tank I put a pipejack in the basement below it and poured a thin layer of leveling compound to level the tank and distribute the dead weight. I now have the most perfectly level tank in the US, I'm sure.

But that was REALLY a special situation because this old house has some known weaknesses and I wanted to protect it from further problems. It was pretty fun leveling that way, but it's pretty extreme.

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
its better to level your stand then the tank itself. My house is pretty old as well so my tanks are level.

An 1/8" is nothing to worry about as far as tank failure goes.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Generally that 1/8" is nothing to worry about.

The big problem with non-level tanks occur when the tank is out of level front to back and side to side. This causes the base to skew, and that is what puts all the pressure on the joints of the tank. That can be an issue.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Generally that 1/8" is nothing to worry about.

The big problem with non-level tanks occur when the tank is out of level front to back and side to side. This causes the base to skew, and that is what puts all the pressure on the joints of the tank. That can be an issue.
I think you mean when the tank is supported by two opposite corners, right? It can be 'unlevel' both front to back and side to side and still be evenly supported. When you have and empty tank or stand doing the teeter-totter across opposite corners, that's when you're in trouble.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode