dry supplies. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
dry supplies.

hey guys I'm looking to supplement my income and I think I'm going to start offering sales of dry goods on the forum. What are you guys most interested in buying online?

I would like to see if I can get some products that are worth selling.

thanks!
mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Not really a "dry" good, but.....Buy glutaraldehyde at a high concentration, dilute it to Metricide strength, and sell it for 1/2 the price of Excel. I would do it, but I'm too lazy!

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
You work in a store or did before didn't you?

I think with that experience you'd know the products with enough margin & movement to make it work. The problem is having the inventory and enough variety to make it worthwhile to the potential buyers. I personally prefer to group my orders which means directing them to a place with the choices I want. That can often mean I'm paying a bit more for some items for that convenience.

If your model is based on price alone that's a tough row to hoe.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
F22
Planted Tank Guru

I mean I know what items sell in a retail store front but online is different. I was thinking about starting with eheims, water treatments, and NLS foods
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
My question to you would be, how are you going to compete with the large online stores if you carry standard products? Personally I don't think it's possible unless you have a massive amount of capital to invest in the business. The small business just can't buy or sell in enough volume to get the good deals on shipping and quantity discounts the large companies can.

I'd say that to have any chance at all, you'd have to sell products that specialized to people that knew what they were getting involved in. In my opinion, you'd have to offer products that the others just can get.

You'd also have to set up business bank accounts, and set up methods to take credit cards. Personally, if a company will not take my credit card directly, it automatic disqualification. No PayPal or similar stuff. I'm also a sceptic about stuff sold on Ebay, but that's more me.

Another nice thing, you'll also get to pay all those local business taxes.

Like someone said, if your in business for yourself, you can set your own hours, and work any 80 hours a week you want. (grin)

I'm not saying don't go into business, but I am saying go in with your eyes open. More than a few have lost a lot going into a business and not really understanding how things work.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
F22
Planted Tank Guru

dude. I already own an aquarium service company, I pay tax already. Its just going to put some money back into the business with small online sales.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I wouldn't even consider a product line that didn't have an enforced MAP policy in place. Especially true on higher dollar items. But coming up with cash to buy inventory for a new line would be next to impossible for me. Even after 14 years of selling the same sort of stuff it's difficult to maintain stock.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
F22
Planted Tank Guru

I'm gonna start with eheims for now. They have map pricing and I really like the product and the company
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I had been in the landscape business for 22 years owning my company, self employed people work more hours than anyone and have the opportunity to make more money. People who think their going to work 20 hrs a week and go on vacation for months a a time don't make it. I worked for me (bastard) for 14 years before my first vacation and it was a family reunion from thurs to sun. The pet supply market is tight and margins are thin, so get ready to fold, tape, load, and label some boxes but the big items will be drop shipped from the manufacturer if you give them away to make a sale, good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
You might try medications.

For example, Levamisole. I needed to treat all my tanks, plus have some extra for future QT treatments; and I figured 20g was more than enough. There's one place that would sell me 20g (4x 5g packets) for $22 + shipping, but elsewhere I could get a 100g bottle for the same price. So I bought the bottle. It's more than I'll ever need, and most of it will expire and go to waste.

But if you were selling 20g for $15 + shipping, that would have been the better deal; and I would have bought from you. I save some money and waste less. When you sell it all, you get $75 on something that cost you less than $30.

Another example is Flubendazole. Smallest quantity I've seen available is 25g, for $25.50 shipped. That's enough to treat 1,000 gallons. Or treat my 5G quarantine tank 200 times. Seriously?

You could buy 100g for $70.50 shipped (or less). I'd gladly buy 5g for $10. You make $200 on the bottle.

The more medications you can offer in small quantities with combined shipping, the more attractive a deal it would be for people who are looking to have small quantities of various meds on hand, or expand their QT regimen.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Most, effective, medications have to be sold in their original packaging, so one needs a veterinary wholesale connection that carries the sizes one wants. The worming agents area sold for farm animals, and the packages are sized accordingly. Repackaging small amounts could, particularly if a veterinarian complained, bring undesirable federal attention.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
F22
Planted Tank Guru

hmmmm. Maybe I'll just offer eheims, food and meds. I have enough work as it is...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
What about ferts, mixing bottles (brown), eyedroppers (ml), digital scales, little funnels, and oh my god at the same store so you save on shipping, you got to make a niche.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
What about ferts, mixing bottles (brown), eyedroppers (ml), digital scales, little funnels, and oh my god at the same store so you save on shipping, you got to make a niche.
+1 on the 1 stop shop, there are so many little things you can cary that people have to order from all over the place and spend a ton on shipping.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'd buy EDTA or DPTA iron in 1# or even 1/2# sizes if the price is reasonable.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode