Going Big. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Going Big.

hey guys. I have a 15 gallon planted tank with neons, and things seem to be doing pretty well. I've been thinking of trying my hand at a big planted tank. Something bigger than 55 gallons. For those in the know, how is setting up and caring for a bigger tank different than a smaller tank?

Right now I'm running DIY CO2, and I figure that wouldn't work on a big tank. Been meaning to upgrade to a pressured system with a nice diffuser anyway. I'm thinking of doing a long tank, because to my eye, it's more visually appealing.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
It's really not that different except a couple of area and you mentioned the first (CO2), second would be the tank size, third do you want a long tank or a tall tank, four is a bigger budget. Long tanks are very nice and easy to reach the bottom, tall also has a certain appeal in letting plants get to their natural height. When you narrow it down to what size, come back for suggestions on filters, lighting, reactors, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:30 PM
GDP
Banned

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have no expirence bigger than a 55g. However from what I know and how I understand it taking care of a bigger tank is in some way easier than smaller ones. For example water perameters within a larger tank stay more stable. Fish will be happier and healthy so less maintiance with the fish. However when you do have problems they will be BIG problems. Cleaning for one would probably suck. Housing it properly in the house could be a problem.

Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (49/100%)
For me, I work my way up. DIY co2 to pressurized, 10, 20L, 40Breeder, 55gallon, finally 90. Now I have extra tanks for shrimps or grow out plant tank. Keep in mind that when you go bigger, you need more co2 and DIY is not going to supply enough. Also consider you need more light, unless you're going with low/medium tech. Good luck.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I also think larger tanks are for the most part a little easier for the reasons stated above. I have had less issues with my 55 compared to my 10 and 20 as far as water quality. Your main issue will be cost and sticking to a budget if that is an issue then a larger tank will be tough, if its not an issue then you should have few problems
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've had my 220 with 55 sump running for about a week now and the only thing I would suggest is go with something <24" tall. mine is 31" tall and I almost have to hold my breath to pick off leaves or move anything lol. I went with tall because I think it will look nicer once the plants fill out and I can have more fish, but it is alot more difficult to work in...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/50%)
Talls are awesome. Get one of those grabbers and pruners from petco. Super legit. Make it easier
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
My tank is 30 inches tall and it can be a pain without the right tools, It's also 150 gallons and you have to think about placement at about 1200 pounds of water you might want a concrete floor underneath.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would add that for scaping, an 18 inch or larger front to back is nicer for the visual depth.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvagoldbook View Post
For those in the know, how is setting up and caring for a bigger tank different than a smaller tank?
You get your sleeve wet when you do any replanting or cleaning.

Eheim Pimp #459 - 2213, 2234
SunSun Pimp #47 - (Perfect) HW302
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Algae Grower

hmm

I have a 75g. Upgraded to it from a 55 and it is definitely worth the upgrade.
It largely would depend on what kind of fish you want. Looking at Angels or similar taller fish a tall would definitely be the way to go. Of course if you are planning on having a tank full of pictus cats and clown loaches a long tank would be the way to go.

If you have the dinero, I have always been of the opinion that a 120gallon is the perfect size big tank without going humongous. It gives you the four foot width with over 2 foot of depth and two feet tall. It is basically a deeper 75 or 90.

48 1/2 x 24 1/4 x 25 1/2
If you are interested in dimensions here is a good chart:
http://alysta.com/books/fishtank.htm

As for differences in care: I think a big tank is much more forgiving of you if you stretch a water change because you are on vacation, or experimenting with CO2. You will need to go with an automatic co2, DIY will kill you on anything 55gallons or bigger in my experience. Lighting will also be a bigger costs. However, the advantage of a big tank over its smaller bretheren is huge especially when considering planted tanks. My 55 seemed great until I started looking at the depth my friend could get in his 90 and 150. I settled on a 75 second hand and have loved it. Your scape is just much better and more dynamic the deeper back your tank goes. Oh, one other small thing, tank stands can be a pain in the big tanks if you aren't able to make one. I just didn't have faith in myself and bought one for piece of mind.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
agreed 55s are not an ideal size.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was thinking of going with a long tank. I've seen a few long tanks on the Your Tanks section that are labeled as 125 gallons. Long and short. When well scaped, to me they look like a big screen at the movies. I've only kept neon tetras so far, but I figured once I get this set up I might want to try my hand at raising angels or maybe discuses. I just hope they can live with tetras without any problem. When I finish renovating downstairs and put in carpet above the concrete subfloor, I plan on getting started with this.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Those big fish will eat your neons eventually. Well, angels will, anyway. Sorry to be a downer.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Algae Grower

yeah it is likely the neons will get eaten. Some have claimed success with keeping cardinals with angels but it is a hit or miss thing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode