Mystery Slime - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Mystery Slime

I'm setting up a 3 gallon cookie jar as a planted nano. I had a heater in there that I was removing today because the weather has gotten nice in a hurry here and it's really really ugly in this tank. When I pulled the heater out the suction cups holding it in place stayed stuck to the glass, so I put my hand in and grabbed the first. It came off, but had a coating, approximately 1/4" thick, of translucent slime on it. The tank has some guppy fry, a few ghost shrimp, and some plants at the bottom. Until today it wasn't receiving much light at all.

The slime looks and feels like the gel that is used to fill diapers once it has absorbed its load of water. It's completely odorless and was only stuck to the suction cups, so I'm inclined to think that it was a chemical substance of some sort rather than a crazily overgrown bacterial colony or some such. When I tried to remove the second suction cup, its coating fell off and broke into a million pieces which are floating around in the tank. I'm trying to do water changes to get rid of the bulk of it, but it's pretty much everywhere now.

Any ideas what it might be (it didn't photograph at all) or a clever idea on how to get the gunk out of the tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
Some people use an airline tube with a piece of long hard tubing connected to the end. Some use this for drip acclimating. It's an easy way to spot drain. Just start the syphon and let er rip.

As for the slime, I havn't a clue!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, after fishing everything out that I could with a net then 3 consecutive 50% changes, stirring up all the slime chunks each time and trying to suck them out one by one with an airline tube siphon, I've gotten most of it out. It's gotten to the point now where I think I'm done then see one more floating by...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have that sort of slime on the suction cups, or anything that is rubbery in my tank. But it is definitely not quarter of an inch thick! That is gross.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Indeed, and the slime only appeared in the past week or so and only adhered to that particular type of suction cup. It appears to be made of a different type of plastic than the others though, so I guess that could be it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wouldn't worry about it, never harmed my tank. I see the shrimps eat the slime, they seem to be fine as well.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Planted Member

I've had it on every suction cup in every tank I have ever had. It either gets eaten of goes away. I wouldn't worry.

No idea why it happens on suction cups but it does...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
As long as it doesn't crawl up your arm and eat your neighbors your ok, never mind that was the Blob not slime. I noticed something like that on a suction cup that had pulled away from the glass for some time, the cup was filled with a white slime but I don't see it anywhere else. I just chucked it in the trash, all my cups had hardened and I had the replacements handy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode