37 gallon top cover question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
37 gallon top cover question

for a regular 37 gallon high tank what versa top will fit, I cant seem to find any meaurments? I want to get the meausrments online of the vera top that will fit so i can take that to a window company near me and they can cut a piece of glass that i can use as a cover for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
If it's like mine, it should be 30"x12". Still, you should check it yourself, grab a ruler and go at it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

yea it is but if i get the glass cut wont it come out exactly 30 by 12 meaning it wont fit into the tank top opening becuase it is to exact?????

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you want an exact fit, you'd have to measure it yourself. Every rim will be slightly different. Mine measures roughly at like 29 1/3 and 11 1/2.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Better still, make a template up, out of cardboard, and get it to fit just right. Then have your glass cut to fit the template.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

good idea , I hope it wont cost more then $30
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I wouldn't get glass cut, the edges will be sharp (could be covered), it won't be tempered so it will break easy. I think plastic or plexiglass would be better from your local hardware store. I just took my lids off after 8 years to let more light in, why are you covering??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Take a stone and rub the sharp edge of the glass and you won't have issues with that. As far as breaking goes, it's glass so be careful. You can go to Lowes, Ace, Home Depot etc and get a piece of glass cut for very little money. When I did mine I just measure with a tape measure and subtracted 1/8".
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

anything BUT glass from my understanding will warp. I am covering because I am doing half water half land and I need a cover to keep up humidity and protect my light from my misting pump. I called lowes a while back and spoke with someone who i hope was wrong they said it would be like $50-$60 dollars !!!! THATS insane for a small cut piece of glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
I wouldn't get glass cut, the edges will be sharp (could be covered), it won't be tempered so it will break easy. I think plastic or plexiglass would be better from your local hardware store. I just took my lids off after 8 years to let more light in, why are you covering??
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Algae Grower

glass is expensive. Sure plexiglass will warp, but is cheap enough you can replace it, plus it won't break on you. Also, some people weight it down a little to prevent warping.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianizaguirre View Post
anything BUT glass from my understanding will warp. I am covering because I am doing half water half land and I need a cover to keep up humidity and protect my light from my misting pump. I called lowes a while back and spoke with someone who i hope was wrong they said it would be like $50-$60 dollars !!!! THATS insane for a small cut piece of glass
I got 2 pieces cut at lowes to cover my 55 gallon and they were $4 each.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoemen66 View Post
glass is expensive. Sure plexiglass will warp, but is cheap enough you can replace it, plus it won't break on you. Also, some people weight it down a little to prevent warping.
It's always been my experience that plexiglass or similar acrylic plastic, even if you get thick material, will warp no matter what you do. For one reason or another, the center wants to seek a lower level. While glass can break, carefully handled, it will last years.

As for price, have you priced acrylic plastic lately? Unless your lucky and find a place with some old stock that they are selling cheep, at least in my area plastic is more expensive than glass.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipadj46 View Post
I got 2 pieces cut at lowes to cover my 55 gallon and they were $4 each.
For real??? what did you do,say/ask? And i think i want to get like two holes drilled two on the glass...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode