What makes a new tank cloudy? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
What makes a new tank cloudy?

Hi. Set up a 5g quarantine tank for some otos yesterday afternoon. Have an internal filter seeded with some sponge from an established tank, a heater, and some java fern and/or anubias nana covered rocks and wood pulled from an established tank, as well as an old store bought cave I had sitting around. No substrate.

Added some blanched cucumber and algae wafers when I set it up, and left them in overnight since I hadn't seen any fish eating them.

Woke up this morning to a tank so cloudy I can't see into it. It's white like fog or diluted milk. Did an ammonia test which came back 0. Did a partial water change which helped a little, but now it's opaque in there again. I really want to be able to monitor these otos so I can see if they're eating cause so far I don't think they are

I had this happen once before, many years ago on a small betta tank and ended up having to tear it down and start over. Should I do that now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 11:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Completely normal for new tanks. You just have to let the tank finish cycling and get the right mix of beneficial bacteria and in a few days a week the most your tank should be totally clear. Good luck!

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well the thing is that I've cycled quite a few tanks but this is only the second time this has happened. I did an almost complete water change a few minutes ago and removed the old store bought ornament. I really need to be able to see in the tank - otos already have a hard time adjusting and I don't need dead fish that I can't see fouling up the water (I just found one when I did the water change). But thanks for the help.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 12:37 AM
Algae Grower

The same thing happened to me. It'll go away soon, but your fish may suffer during the process :/ but hey again, good luck!

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As stated it is normal for this to happen not often but it does happen.its caused by a bacterial bloom and is not normaly harmful to fish just add O2 and wait it out. it happened to me when i nuked a tank to kill a snail infestation. One solution is to add some filter start solution (ask your LFS for it) it is not an immidiate fix but it will help speed up the process.
i would not advise any more large water changes as you are only prolonging the cloudiness by bringing the tank back to square one.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It shouldn't go back to square one with media from an established tank, should it? I'm not trying to long term cycle this tank - it's just a quarantine tank and it's got floss from another tank. But I need to be able to see the fish or else I won't know if any have died. Why not do water changes if there is no other way to get rid of the cloudiness?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
You can get a little fogginess in a new tank due to a bacteria bloom, but not like you are describing here. A normal algae bloom doesn't look milky or is so strong that it's hard to see inside the tank. It might be from the cucumber dissolving.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
Part of it could be from the algae wafers too. Every time I put an algae wafer in for my corys, the water gets slightly cloudy. Maybe you put in too much?

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Maybe that's whats wrong with mine today, I got some new algea wafers and there too big so I crushed them but it still ends up as too much. My tank isn't really cloudy but it has a film (oily) on the water surface and little bits floating all around (a lot), I just stopped using my glass covers because it's been noted the it reduces light and I just got in my ferts and dosed the first time this morning (PPS Pro) so it's freakin me out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM
My boyfriend bought me a medicine pill cutter, because I had been complaining about the size of the wafers and shrimp pellets. (and I specifically mentioned I wanted one) I use it to cut up the wafers into 4 sections, then feed only what my corys need. It has a cool storage compartment on the bottom, so I just put the extra pieces in there until the next feeding.

My roommate says I'll die by giant turtle.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
My tank isn't really cloudy but it has a film (oily) on the water surface and little bits floating all around (a lot),
The film is easy to correct, just create some surface agitation with your filter outlet or a powerhead. If you don't have anything breaking up and moving the surface that oily film is normal, though unsightly.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Surface agitation didn't help with my surface protein film problem, only a surface skimmer does the job. It it has been doing a great job for the past 4 months, it is awesome.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Do you have any faster growing plants you can put in there? I would continue with the WCs at least once a day until the cloudiness clears up.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:29 PM
GDP
Banned

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef View Post
Surface agitation didn't help with my surface protein film problem, only a surface skimmer does the job. It it has been doing a great job for the past 4 months, it is awesome.
Actually surface agitation very much does get rid of surface film. At least with a lily pipe. I had mine last night sticking slightly outta the surface to aerate and when I woke this morning ..... ive never seen the surface look so clear and clean. Although I think its more than JUST agitation, the lily pipe also flings all the surface crap down into the tank and gets sucked up by the filter.

Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That would make sense, I point my outlet nozzle straight up, but I think I just have way too much of it, so it only gets spread around on the surface, and it doesn't get mixed into the water well. Maybe I am just feeding too much.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode