Green Hair Algae Problem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I upgraded the lighting on my 125 to power compact and since then I have had a very bad hair algae problem. I have black mollies in the tank as I had heard they would eat it but it grows so fast that it takes over tank. The tank has a wet/dry on it with a magnum 350 cannister running. I have a 3 inch layer of gravel over top a 2 inch layer of Flourite. I did not have hair algae when I was using flourcent tubes. Any Ideas? By the way, I don't use CO2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 03:56 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Depending on how old your fluorescent tubes were, and how efficient your new PC's, reflector's and ballasts are, you may very well have doubled the amount of light from your previous...even if you didn't increase the number of watts!

Upgrading your lights has upset the balance of your tank. To balance a planted tank the best approach is to use Liebig's Law of Minimums to your advantage. Leibig's law states, in simple terms, that there is always a limiting nutrient/element in plant growth/yield.

For planted tanks, we set the lighting, then add CO2 so that it's never the limiting nutrient, then is just a matter of providing the plants the proper amount of macro and micro nutrients. Plants are by dry weight over 40% carbon...it then makes logical sense to provide carbon (CO2) in abundance. Remember that if plants are healthy and growing you'll not have problems with algae. Deny the plants what they need, or provide a nutrient (other than carbon) or lighting in excess of their needs and algae will flourish.

Admittedly, the principles are simple, but the implementation is difficult. IMO, it will be very difficult for you to control algae in your situation without supplemental CO2.

HTH,
Steve H.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode