driftwood in the process of being covered.. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Kit

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi.
I just noticed when I came back from school today that on my african driftwood, there is this white-clearish fuzzy stuff growing on it. I have never seen algea that looks like this and I was wondering how I should get rid of this stuff..Will some oto's eat it? What other ways are there to get rid of it?
Any advice would help.

thanks,
Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
How long have you had the driftwood and how long has it been since you gave it a good scrubbing? It could be decay and bacteria, rather than algae.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Kit

Thanks gulfcoast for replying.

It's new driftwood and today when I went to my LFS they told me whats growing on it is fungus, which is normal to collect on new driftwood. They said there is two ways to get it off. One, too buy a pleco (supposevly they'll eat fungus??) or two, to take it out of the tank, wash it again and let it dry for the day until it's been baking in the sun for a while...These are new pieces, so I did expect some thing of this sort. They have been soaking for 2 weeks for the rid of the natural tanins in the wood.

so does that sound good?

thanks a lot.

Kit

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 04:03 AM

It is a fungus, good to hear your LFS recognized it, sounds like your fortunate to have a knowledgable LFS. I collect most of my own driftwood and in my experience it can be difficult to stop the fungus from returning...the spores can be very persistant. No harm that I'm aware of can come from the fungus. In addition to some plecos eating the fungus, I've also witnessed Mollies, Guppies and especially Swordtails eating the white patches of fungus.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Kit

Thanks steve!

Good to hear it's normal. Yes, I do have a very good LFS. I actually have two! I don't know if you've seen advertisements of Aquatic Warehouse. Also, theres a place down the street that has an outstanding selection of live plants and fish. Mostly freshwater, but that's what I have so no problems there!

Back to the fungus. I am glad to hear it is normal. I will leave it alone and probably buy a bristlenose pleco.

I am so attached to these two peices of driftwood that I bought. In the past, observing the driftwood, they have in, are not too interesting. Then it "happend"! They had a new shipment in and I picked out these two that compliment eachother so well!

You'll see what I'm talking about when I post some pics of the final tank.

thanks again,

Kit

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 07:06 PM

hey so did your fungus go away?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank VIP

I always get fungus on hte pieces of wood I buy. I generally just leave it alone and the fungus goes away in a few weeks. Otherwise fish or snails eat.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 10:00 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Isn't it amazing what a little bit of patience can accomplish!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 10:32 PM

Do bristlenose pleco do a good job with eating algae and leave most of plants alone? Are these considered dwarf pleco? I had a common pleco in a 100G tank that grew to be about 10" long and loved to tear up plants! I was told that a dwarf pleco wouldn't do that and several fish sites suggested bristlenose or rubberlip? pleco.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
I recently got rid of my 7" Sailfin Pleco and went with a Bristlenose. He's smaller, but does almost as good a job as the Grumpy old Sailfin did. He doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the green spot algae quite as well, though.
I believe the bristlenose is one of the smaller plecos, though, growing only to a max of around 4".

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode