What are these? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By akpoly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
What are these?

Anyone know what these things are? The one that is like 3 ovals and 1 oval? They swim weirdly thru the water, like in bursts instead of smoothly. My tank just finished cycling and all of a sudden I see these guys. The only thing that was in the tank before it finished cycling was some MTS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpoly View Post
Anyone know what these things are? The one that is like 3 ovals and 1 oval? They swim weirdly thru the water, like in bursts instead of smoothly. My tank just finished cycling and all of a sudden I see these guys. The only thing that was in the tank before it finished cycling was some MTS.
A little hard to tell from the blurry image, but they look like seed shrimp. They are very similar to snails in terms of indicating a healthy, but over-fed tank. They will diminish, like snails, once enough food is supplied so that only the fish consume it. Many types of fish will eat them, which also helps, but some will survive the journey through the fish.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
A little hard to tell from the blurry image, but they look like seed shrimp. They are very similar to snails in terms of indicating a healthy, but over-fed tank. They will diminish, like snails, once enough food is supplied so that only the fish consume it. Many types of fish will eat them, which also helps, but some will survive the journey through the fish.
Thanks! That led me to find copepods. Which it looks like what might be swimming around. The only food source in the tank would be any plant matter decaying from the emersed to submersed transition. So I guess that must be what they are eating!

Deanna and Roboto like this.

|
|
|

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 08:50 PM
Planted Member

Free Fish food!

40 breeder - 1.25" Dirt/1.25" Black Diamond cap - Pressurized CO2 (2.25bps) - 2x54watt T5HO and 42watt LED (total 150watts; 14,500 lumens) - EI dosing - 50% weekly WC - H.O.T. Magnum 250 canister - SunSun 530 gph pump - Set-up 7-14-2015 - Cycled 8-1-2015

"Whatever is inconsistent with the facts,
no matter of how fond of it we are,
MUST be discarded or revised." - Carl Sagan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 10:27 PM
Algae Grower

The water in my shrimp tank has looked a little hazy recently but the parameters are good. At least what I’ve been able to test. I thought the shrimp were kicking up dust with their sand sifting until the light hit the tank just right last night. TONS of barely visible critters all over the glass. Ive been wanting some Boraras and that sealed the deal for me.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

If only they could reproduce fast enough for me to never buy food again...

|
|
|

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 06:23 PM
Algae Grower

I vote for copepods. They are no problem at all and great in shrimp breeding tanks as the little shrimp will eat them.
I have them in my shrimp breeding tank where I don't clean the glass and they are always camped out there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode