1Likes
  • 1 Post By en7jos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Killing snails in the tank?

Hi,

I have those dreaded bladder snails that reproduce so fast. I would like to know if I smash/crush them in the tank, will that produce more baby snails in the tank?

Iím trying to kill the small ones before they get to reproducing age. Sometimes they are just too small to remove unless I stick hand into the tank. I use long tweezer to crush them instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Problem with crushing them is that it leaves a lot of dead bodies decomposing in the tank, and hence a potential spike in ammonia that may harm your other livestock.

Maybe try leaving bait (lettuce leaves?) in the tank overnight and remove the leaves + attached snails in the morning?
fishie777 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 02:45 PM
Algae Grower

Most people have established tanks, but a freshwater pea puffer fish is supposed to eat them like crazy. Never had one, but darn cute. I'm sure there are other predators who eat them, even assassin snails.
Also the bait traps en7jos mentioned work, but may need to be diligent. Look online as to how to make them out of a plastic water bottle.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 05:28 PM
Algae Grower

Yoyo loach.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/98%)
Pea Puffer, Loaches, paradise fish, rosy barbs...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 02:41 PM
Planted Member

cory cats will eat them

Quote:
Originally Posted by en7jos View Post
Problem with crushing them is that it leaves a lot of dead bodies decomposing in the tank, and hence a potential spike in ammonia that may harm your other livestock.

Maybe try leaving bait (lettuce leaves?) in the tank overnight and remove the leaves + attached snails in the morning?
If you have Cory Cats, they will gladly eat the smashed snails.

40 breeder - 1.25" Dirt/1.25" Black Diamond cap - Pressurized CO2 (2.25bps) - 2x54watt T5HO and 42watt LED (total 150watts; 14,500 lumens) - EI dosing - 50% weekly WC - H.O.T. Magnum 250 canister - SunSun 530 gph pump - Set-up 7-14-2015 - Cycled 8-1-2015

"Whatever is inconsistent with the facts,
no matter of how fond of it we are,
MUST be discarded or revised." - Carl Sagan
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 05:23 PM
Algae Grower

I had had some loaches (I can’t remember which type) for a while in mine and they must have ate almost all of them
Within a week!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM
Algae Grower

My angles used to snap them up as they fell crushed. In fact they would sit under my finger waiting for me to crush a snail

Quote:
Originally Posted by en7jos View Post

Bump: Clown loach, golden zebra, yoyo, zebra, and similar will eat them. zebra loaches are actually under-rated. They are a bit calmer than yoyo and a bit smaller. Only problem is they can be a bit shy at time so you might not see them for a while but given enough they will come out and play. If you do get yoyo or gold zebra; you have to cover every hole no matter how small as they love to jump. I've not observed my zebra loaches jumping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildaint View Post
I had had some loaches (I can’t remember which type) for a while in mine and they must have ate almost all of them
Within a week!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode