High CO2 Users - How Do You Acclimate New Livestock? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
So beautiful...
Thank you! I'm currently stocking up on all the equipment and planning out my next tank, hopefully I'll have it look good like this again but with some added focus on the livestock too
Greggz, varanidguy and Discusluv like this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
So this is an interesting question, one that often troubled me when I first started.

I typically do one of two things when adding new livestock, and that largely depends on what time of day the livestock arrives.

My co2 is set to come on at 3:30p every day. If new livestock arrives several hours beforehand, I don't change anything. I add the fish, give them a few hours to acclimate, and let the co2 and tank do its thing naturally. If, however, the livestock will be arriving in the afternoon, I don't want to add them to my high co2 water, so I will delay, or in some cases, even turn off co2 for the day. After the initial day, all systems and processes return to normal.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Quagulator likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
So essentially, the general consensus is to add new livestock prior to the CO2 coming on for the day, ideally as long before as possible, and then let the tank / CO2 run as normal??

I guess the majority of the times I have added livestock would have been during the photo period hours now that I look back... Thanks again for everyone's input.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
So essentially, the general consensus is to add new livestock prior to the CO2 coming on for the day, ideally as long before as possible, and then let the tank / CO2 run as normal??

I guess the majority of the times I have added livestock would have been during the photo period hours now that I look back... Thanks again for everyone's input.
Basically, yes. I like to add the livestock at least a few hours before lights and co2 come on. If that isn't possible, I simply turn off the co2 for the day to give the new livestock a full day's acclimation.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 08:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Not to discount anyone elseís experiences in any way but I just temp acclimate them and drop them in. Over the past 5-6 years of co2 use at a drop of 1.2-1.4 in ph I have never had an issue regardless of co2 being on or not. I donít do this with shrimp but all of the garden variety fish I usually keep do well. Keep in mind my lfs stocks good quality fish and I seldomly have purchased fish from petco/petsmart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode