• 1 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By Ibn
  • 2 Post By minorhero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2020, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Spray paint in aquarium

So setting up a new planted tank for my musk turtle already since I was regretting how small my setup was. But I wanted to use my leftover spray foam from the last build to make some rocks. Downside being they are black and I wanted a more "natural" look to them.

I looked at rustoleum and I like the American accents stone texture finish but I have no idea if its safe. Most guides say that plastic spray paints are safe but this ones for wood, metal,glass, "and more" so im worried plastic is not under "more"

Any input would be great, should I clear coat it to be safe? Any alternatives to getting a stone color paint in its place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16041217599866215519646982879738_1604121781232.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	3.45 MB
ID:	904819  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2020, 01:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

I wouldn't do it.
mooner likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2020, 04:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm not sure if the solvents in the spray paint will melt the spray foam.

What about coating the still wet spray foam with natural colored sand?

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2020, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I wont use anything that has petroleum product in it which has toxic solvent and may melt your foam. A safe way Ive done in my shrimp tank is to coat the surface with superglue and dust it with terra cotta powder. It has a natural larva look and I used an electric grinder to powderize a terra cotta pot.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2020, 07:57 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
The only paint that I've ever used for in-tank application has been Krylon Fusion.

You can also use clear aquarium sealant on top of the expanded foam rocks and then embed sand/grit if you want to try another method. However, I'm not sure how buoyant the expanded foam is and whether the "rocks" would stay submerged.
deeda likes this.

Eric

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2020, 01:16 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Why not cover your foam rocks wish sand before the foam dries? Both are aquarium safe and the technique is commonly used in making aquarium backgrounds. You could embed a real rock inside the fake one to ensure it won't float when you're done.

VickiStill running most of my tanks.

90g -
                     75g -

29g -
                    8g - Plants only
5g - Plants only                 2.5g -
Retired
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2020, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
I won’t use anything that has petroleum product in it which has toxic solvent and may melt your foam. A safe way I’ve done in my shrimp tank is to coat the surface with superglue and dust it with terra cotta powder. It has a natural larva look and I used an electric grinder to powderize a terra cotta pot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Why not cover your foam rocks wish sand before the foam dries? Both are aquarium safe and the technique is commonly used in making aquarium backgrounds. You could embed a real rock inside the fake one to ensure it won't float when you're done.
So I've already sprayed some foam with no issue. I had looked up that certain people with reef tanks use both rustoleum and krylon with no issue and I was concerned if that specific kind would be still safe.

The reason I didn't use sand while foam is drying is I shaped the foam once dry with sanding and cutting edges to make a more natural look.

I also know its going to float so I planned on siliconing the pieces in place once finished.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2020, 04:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrocious View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
I won’t use anything that has petroleum product in it which has toxic solvent and may melt your foam. A safe way I’ve done in my shrimp tank is to coat the surface with superglue and dust it with terra cotta powder. It has a natural larva look and I used an electric grinder to powderize a terra cotta pot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
So I've already sprayed some foam with no issue. I had looked up that certain people with reef tanks use both rustoleum and krylon with no issue and I was concerned if that specific kind would be still safe.

The reason I didn't use sand while foam is drying is I shaped the foam once dry with sanding and cutting edges to make a more natural look.

I also know its going to float so I planned on siliconing the pieces in place once finished.
Any reason you don't just use real rocks? You can get them for free from the ground and they will look very natural.
mooner and Complexity like this.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2020, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Any reason you don't just use real rocks? You can get them for free from the ground and they will look very natural.
There are reasons hobbyists prefer fake rock, such as creating 3D background, caves or unusual formation as real rock can be heavy and risky of falling over. So painting over DIY rock to look real is necessary. I don't make fake rock but have a glass crystal crab I painted to look terra cotta red.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode