Results of CO2 indicator are VERY different from kh/ph co2 calculator - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-04-2020, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
@Asteroid I'm thinking actual pearling, just the bubbles that form are being caught in the upper leaves.

I thought of an interesting experiment that might settle it, you can buy 95% pure O2 (meant for inhaling) from drug stores. Might be able to supersaturate the water with O2 overnight then see whether pearling is induced earlier in the day than normal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I want to make sure we're on the same page. Are you saying the source of the pearling is within the plant and it gets caught on the leaf as it exits when the water is supersaturated from all the invisible "pearling" going on during the photoperiod prior to it becoming supersaturated?
gjcarew likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well, while all of you are off on this tangent I tried your suggestion of adding root tabs.... and had an ammonia spike that killed my poor bamboo shrimp!! I had PERFECT water quality prior to adding the damn root tabs!
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 04:01 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTLady View Post
Well, while all of you are off on this tangent I tried your suggestion of adding root tabs.... and had an ammonia spike that killed my poor bamboo shrimp!! I had PERFECT water quality prior to adding the damn root tabs!
What kind of root tabs did you add? How deep were they and what is your substrate?
varanidguy likes this.

post #64 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
What kind of root tabs did you add? Why did you choose root tabs instead of liquid/dry ferts? How deep did you get them into the substrate? Did they break apart when you put them in?

As far as having perfect water quality, that is not even close to true. If you had a marine tank, or a fish-only tank, then you would be right. Having 0 Nitrates and 0 Phosphates is not PERFECT water quality in a planted tank.
Kubla and Quagulator like this.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

Last edited by jellopuddinpop; 11-06-2020 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added something
post #65 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 04:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
If I were you, I would take a deep breath, slow down, and regroup.

You've got a very newly cycled tank that does not have a mature biofield yet.

Some root tabs contain Urea, so you may have created an ammonia spike. What type did you use? And how many?

But really you need to be looking at the big picture. Just saying based on your comments about fertilizers and other things it seems you don't have a lot of experience, and your time would be well spent studying up on what makes planted tanks successful.

This site does a great job of explaining everything from the basics to advanced knowledge.

https://www.2hraquarist.com/

Like others have said, DIY CO2 on a tank that size is not a good idea. And when adding CO2 and medium light, you are driving the demands for ferts. I would read up on and learn to understand macro and micro ferts. IMO, right now your biggest problem is that your plants are starving.

Have you seen or followed any tanks that have similar goals and tank size to yours? If not, you should. Their success can be a blueprint for the types of things you should be focusing on.

Good luck and I hope things begin to turn around for you.
jellopuddinpop likes this.

---
---
post #66 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-07-2020, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
I agree pearling usually peaks late in the day. As to why, not sure.
It is because O2 saturation is at its peak at the end of the light cycle. Your plants have had the most time possible to create O2 from photosynthesis and the more oxygen in the water, the slower the bubbles released from the plants will dissolve and more likely they can be observed.

Quote:
But honestly, matters little to me. Like much of this hobby, I try not to get too caught up in the science.
Too bad, you won't learn quickly about anything here other than what you can readily observe in your own tank.

post #67 of 67 (permalink) Old 11-07-2020, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
It is because O2 saturation is at its peak at the end of the light cycle. Your plants have had the most time possible to create O2 from photosynthesis and the more oxygen in the water, the slower the bubbles released from the plants will dissolve and more likely they can be observed.
I agree with the bolded part but "true pearling" has little to do with how much o2 is in the water as demonstrated by a cut stem in an otherwise pearless tank suddenly pearls as well as a single stem or piece of riccia pearling in a minimalist tank. It's not plausible to think a single piece of riccia saturated the water with oxygen nor is it plausible that out of 12 stem species 3 of them pearl and the others which are growing very well don't. It's all about the speed of o2 release.

i would agree fake pearling is about o2 saturation.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode