Floating Plants in a Larger Tank.. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Raith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Floating Plants in a Larger Tank..

Quick question. For those that have floating plants in a larger tank (mine is a 90g), is there no way for them not to be a total PITA? I love what they do for nitrates and I love the look actually + the cover for shrimp etc. I have Frogbit and Dwarf Water Lettuce.

But when changing the water or trimming.. or rearranging plants.. or even when the water level just drops a bit.. just a total PITA. I even have tried using fishing line to keep them where I want them, which helps. But the minute the water level drops some are able to float past it. (I'm sure I could use two lines, one below the other at different levels to try and account for that)

Any tips or tricks before I just get rid of most if not all of them? Are there any larger floating plants I'm not thinking of that may be easier to deal with? I do really like the benefits of how they soak up nutrients and provide cover for the fish, but it just doesn't seem worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 10:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Once floaters take over, no matter the size, it'll have this issue, and it also depends on the depth, the deeper it is, the harder, you won't have a mechanism to go down that far, however, you may try. A tube connected by a piece of plastic and then a suction cup, when the water decreases, the tube will drop to that depth, and keep the floaters at bay but you have to manually adjust it sometimes. A separator is always best but even after awhile you may run into issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld
2 Gallon jungle val madness bowl

RAOK CLUB #0
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 10:36 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tall plants will hold the roots in place, consecutively the plants.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
Once floaters take over, no matter the size, it'll have this issue, and it also depends on the depth, the deeper it is, the harder, you won't have a mechanism to go down that far, however, you may try. A tube connected by a piece of plastic and then a suction cup, when the water decreases, the tube will drop to that depth, and keep the floaters at bay but you have to manually adjust it sometimes. A separator is always best but even after awhile you may run into issues.
Yea that was my fear. I don't really see a way around it. I think I'll just start with reducing the amount instead of getting rid of them all. May try tubing instead, I just wasn't a fan of the tube circle I've seen on youtube and otherwise. Wanted one half of the tank with them and the other without. But may try it, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorusaconte View Post
Tall plants will hold the roots in place, consecutively the plants.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
It's a 90g tall so most plants just won't reach that high. I've got some jungle val, but it isn't the greatest for that.

Bump: One other question, has anyone ever used the larger pond floating plants in aquariums? Any issues with this? I know they're very invasive, but less likely to be moved around/flipped over as easily.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 12:05 AM
Algae Grower

I have some water hyacinth going in my 150G indoor pond. Seems to be doing pretty well.

The main downside I've found is they tend to shed a lot of root material. It can clog up prefilter and filter sponges pretty fast.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
I have some water hyacinth going in my 150G indoor pond. Seems to be doing pretty well.

The main downside I've found is they tend to shed a lot of root material. It can clog up prefilter and filter sponges pretty fast.
Thank you, that's good to know. Really love the look of those but I didn't ever think about that, there's none really with the small floaters I have.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Actually, one last question. Does anyone use stem plants as floaters instead? When starting the tank I used hornwort and a few others that I let initially float but then sank. Thinking I can use them for the same cover/nitrate soaking purposes with less issues. How do people keep them floating?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 10:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

I keep my cabomba floating, flew bacopa before too but I eventually put them into the substrate, too much aerial roots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
I keep my cabomba floating, flew bacopa before too but I eventually put them into the substrate, too much aerial roots.
And you never had a problem with them sinking?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 09:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here ya go!

This should have a good solution to your "keep the plants in one area" problem!

So many fish/plants/inverts to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 08:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1sixerfan View Post
And you never had a problem with them sinking?

Stemmed plants usually do float, never had an issue.
number1sixerfan likes this.

20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2020, 05:56 PM

Thank you for sharing this video.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode