2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sarlindescent
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
Question Plant Price Inflation?

I'm just getting back into the hobby after about a 2/3 year hiatus...is it just me or has the price of plants exploded in that time? It seems like plant prices have doubled from the last time I setup a tank. Am I imagining this? If not, did one or a multitude of suppliers disappear from the market? What gives?

• Newest Journal:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • Previous Grow Outs:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • My Visit to the ADA Nature Aquarium Gallery -
    -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 02:48 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJRuttenberg View Post
I'm just getting back into the hobby after about a 2/3 year hiatus...is it just me or has the price of plants exploded in that time? It seems like plant prices have doubled from the last time I setup a tank. Am I imagining this? If not, did one or a multitude of suppliers disappear from the market? What gives?
Not imagination....it is offer and demand

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 04:42 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I agree and disagree with this sentiment. Some prices have changed since the lock downs reduced stock, but most stuff i have received in the last year has been substantially better than I received 5 years ago. 5 years ago when I ordered a pot or stem bunch, there were 5ish moderately healthy stems that were a few inches long. The stems would barely have roots. The TC pots would have plants in the center of the cup and very small. My last couple orders this year were 10-15 stem that were much longer and healthier and with full root systems, so 2-3x the plants of better quality for 20-50% more cost. And TC cups are now full to the brim, side to side and top to bottom. The quality has also increased.

If I had to guess, producing these better quality plants costs more. Let's say it tanks 2 week to produce 2015 plants, it probably takes 3 weeks to produce 2020 plants. Time and space equals money.

A little over a week ago, I received an order from GLA. I was very impressed with the quality and quantity of my purchase. I also recommend forum purchases and clubs (by far the cheapest route).

Edit: one other major benefit, when you start with healthier stock to begin with, transitioning them to their submerged form is all but trivial. I would have 50% melt away. Now my rates are near 100% success. Although I'm sure several years of experience plays some factor, but I can't test that.
victorusaconte likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
Thanks for the info - glad to hear there is correlation with price increase and plant quality.

• Newest Journal:
  • Previous Grow Outs:
  • My Visit to the ADA Nature Aquarium Gallery -
    -
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 11:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
I do agree that plants overall are getting more expensive. I am part of a FB plant bid and some people pay $50 for basic plants that would normally be $1 a stem.
There are however some very rare and hard to grow that have also become more popular and I do agree with Sarlindescent that the quality of those plants has definitely increased.

I am trying to sell my clippings instead of throwing them away and instead of overcharging for individual stems I always try and make a package of several stems so it is favorable to people just starting off.

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 11:41 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
The forums here have an awful lot to choose from at any given time and are almost always well under retail.
evil8 likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 01:20 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
If you're literally talking about right now and retail, yes the prices are way up. Just like many other things during the pandemic. Shipping costs and losses due to shipping delays are way up... demand is also way up because have more time on their hands for hobbies. This is generally true across the board for everything right now.

That said, the for sale forum always has deals. Just keep in mind that they're dealing with some of the same challenges.

Tags
cost, plants, prices

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode