• 1 Post By en7jos
  • 2 Post By Deanna
  • 1 Post By GrandpoppyJack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sad day.

Itís with great sadness that I pass along a warning. The pride of my tank (fish wise) was a clown loach. He was very active and had lots of personality. The little fellow was beautifully colored, about 3 inches long and Iíd had him 4 years.

When the cheap led light on my tank failed I added a Fennex planted+ 24/7 led light. Very nice light, but algae has been out of control. After researching the issue I learned that it is a common problem with this light. Iíve adjusted the program to have more time with the light on max but the algae wasnít going away.

This is where things went bad. I dosed the tank with Tetra Algae Control. The label says it wonít hurt fish or plants and I dosed per directions. The clown was okay when I went to work. When I got home he was dead.

The ghost shrimp, albino bristle nose plecto, and otocinclus cat are fine.

I should have asked here about Tetra Algae Control and Clown Loaches before using it. So here I sit feeling feeling terrible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E1A11FFC-A8BE-4162-8218-E052612FA42D.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	904413  

Econde likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 12:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandpoppyJack View Post
Itís with great sadness that I pass along a warning. The pride of my tank (fish wise) was a clown loach. He was very active and had lots of personality. The little fellow was beautifully colored, about 3 inches long and Iíd had him 4 years.

When the cheap led light on my tank failed I added a Fennex planted+ 24/7 led light. Very nice light, but algae has been out of control. After researching the issue I learned that it is a common problem with this light. Iíve adjusted the program to have more time with the light on max but the algae wasnít going away.

This is where things went bad. I dosed the tank with Tetra Algae Control. The label says it wonít hurt fish or plants and I dosed per directions. The clown was okay when I went to work. When I got home he was dead.

The ghost shrimp, albino bristle nose plecto, and otocinclus cat are fine.

I should have asked here about Tetra Algae Control and Clown Loaches before using it. So here I sit feeling feeling terrible.
Awe man. I'm sorry to hear about your Clown Loach.

Setting the light on high will drive plants/algae to grow faster. Try 50% of the light intensity and do more water changes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry to hear about your clown loach; I know exactly what you mean about their personality and appeal so can appreciate the loss of this little fellow. Years back (yikes, must be 20+ years back now - man I'm getting old!) I had a small shoal of about 5 of these little guys that I had had since they were really small. Can't remember why, but they went on holiday to my LFS, I think maybe I was rescaping the tank a needed a 'safe' place to keep them for a week or two. But that was the last I saw of them. The LFS said they had "died" but I think (being optimistic) they had old them. I was devastated! Still think of them every time I'm in a fish shop and see the a big shoal of baby clown's darting about, and they'll be the first fish I'll be bringing home when the day comes I have a big enough tank that isn't already stocked with loach food (shrimp).

James
Econde likes this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The active ingredient in Tetra Algae Control and API Algaefix is a surfactant (think: soap, although not exactly). Surfactants alter surface tension which, in the case of fish, disrupts the ability of their gills to absorb oxygen. It is known to cause problems with fish.

It does work on algae, by causing the cells to burst, and fish do adapt to it. At full dose, though, the sudden change can kill some fish. The algaecide effect can still be accomplished by dosing half the recommended amount and then dosing the other half several hours later. This reduces the stress on fish. It also helps to heavily oxygenate by ensuring strong surface rippling when using these products.
Blue Ridge Reef and evil8 like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2020, 05:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
oh nooo. I'm so sorry about your loss. I know I get very emotional too when I loose a fish

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Awe man. I'm sorry to hear about your Clown Loach.

Setting the light on high will drive plants/algae to grow faster. Try 50% of the light intensity and do more water changes.
Thank you. Iíll give that a try. Obviously what I read about increasing the intensity was wrong.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
The active ingredient in Tetra Algae Control and API Algaefix is a surfactant (think: soap, although not exactly). Surfactants alter surface tension which, in the case of fish, disrupts the ability of their gills to absorb oxygen. It is known to cause problems with fish.

It does work on algae, by causing the cells to burst, and fish do adapt to it. At full dose, though, the sudden change can kill some fish. The algaecide effect can still be accomplished by dosing half the recommended amount and then dosing the other half several hours later. This reduces the stress on fish. It also helps to heavily oxygenate by ensuring strong surface rippling when using these products.
Thank you. Iíll add additional oxigenization and run the rest of the course an half dose.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
oh nooo. I'm so sorry about your loss. I know I get very emotional too when I loose a fish
Thank you. He was a great little fish.
Econde likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 01:49 PM
Planted Member

Bummer. I used to have a couple of clown loaches. They really had a lot of personality. Very inquisitive. Sort of like two water puppies.

I also had a bad experience with my tank where I forgot to add Seachem Prime for my weekly water change. I left for a few hours and when I came back some fish had died and the rest were gasping. I quickly added Prime but it was too late for some. We have so much chloramine in our DC water that you can often smell it by just turning on the tap.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2020, 02:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'm so sorry.

I hope you consider sending Tetra an email about this. They can't do anything to bring your fish back, but they should put a warning on the product so this doesn't happen to others. "Fish safe" should mean exactly that.

Proud member of
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2020, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishly View Post
I'm so sorry.

I hope you consider sending Tetra an email about this. They can't do anything to bring your fish back, but they should put a warning on the product so this doesn't happen to others. "Fish safe" should mean exactly that.
I will do that. Thanks.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishly View Post
I'm so sorry.

I will do that. Thanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode